More Power Needed!

Guest info@trackdayUK

Guest info@trackdayUK

Hi,im looking at a few different options to get some more power into my exmo but havent really got a clue whats the best way to go.

Either i try and squeeze more horses out of the 2.0 ltr pinto thats in it and change the box as a top end of 110 is no good to man nor beast on track or i change the engine and box.

What have people done on here and what was the outcome?

Thanks

Liam :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest info@trackdayUK
take screen off, . put motorbike carbs on, and a mega jolt mappable ign system,plus fast cam, should see 30-40% power gain over standard

Mitch

Im listening and intrigued.

Ive got twin 45 dellorto`s on it atm so you still reckon bike carbs are better ??

What your suggesting should see me over 170 bhp from standard pinto if im doing my figures right??

What about the reliability of the pinto engine,are they strong??

cheers

Liam

170hp out of a pinto would take some money to achive mine with bike carbs fast road ignition vernier injected head is running a genuine 130hp on the dyno (100hp standard) add a cam to that and 145 maybe after that serious head work will be needed.

Thats what the dyno guy said to me when he was setting up my pinto.

i was going of std fig of 100-110bhp, twin 45s on a pinto is probably over kil unless its had seriuos engine mods, bike carbs would probably stay in tune and be far better fuel consumption,

my engines 2.1, 285 cam, bike carbs, megajolt, and has 120bhp at te wheels, pulls miles better, and thats with a head which has i suspect a knackered valve seat as its not unleaded,

screen does make alot of difarence on top speed though,

Mitch

Guest info@trackdayUK
I know it would not be cheap but it would be fun, and as ex evo men how about a 4G63 engine!!!!

LOL,get thy ass over to the mlr ive asked about that and it is possible if i buy an adapter plate to make the 4g fit on a ford box,but as im crap with a spanner i thought better of it!!!!

Guest info@trackdayUK
Your big problem with a 7 style car is that it has the aerodynamic properties of a brick. You'll need massive amounts of power to get it much beyond 100mph.

Iain

Right so mine cant be that bad i was pulling 110 in 4th with a gear to go but on track 5th was crap.

Ive had 120 out of it on a (private)road and was honking the cooper s in front of me out of the way,it held me up at 100 and i had to back off but as soon as it pulled over i pushed it to 120!

I suppose id better get mine looked at 1st to see if we can work out whats actually been done to the engine then and work from there!

Maybe i just need a better box?

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Liam

If the car will pull 110 in forth but 5th is no good then start looking at diff ratios.

You might have a 3.6 in at the mo. a 3.9 will give better power off the line and will make 5th gear usable.

Need to work out how long you will be "flat in 5th on the limiter" down the longest straight :o before you start wreaking engines :huh: its a fine line you could start walking down.

120 in a Hood is pdg in my opinion.

Guest info@trackdayUK
Hi Liam

If the car will pull 110 in forth but 5th is no good then start looking at diff ratios.

You might have a 3.6 in at the mo. a 3.9 will give better power off the line and will make 5th gear usable.

Need to work out how long you will be "flat in 5th on the limiter" down the longest straight :o before you start wreaking engines :huh: its a fine line you could start walking down.

120 in a Hood is pdg in my opinion.

I suppose its an engine out job to get to the box isnt it??

And funny thing is i got 120 on road in 5th but when on track it wouldnt do more then 90 in 5th so had to nail it in 4th!!

Wont do it again in 4th all the time but ill definatley look into the gearbox as it seems the easiest option doesnt it!!

cheers

liam

Guest bettinson2005
<_< mmm this has got me wondering :huh: i have a 2b 2ltr pinto with 32/36 dgav carbs. never been tuned. i can get 110 to 120 not to hard on motorway? my question is ? is this the max i could get :unknw: and how do i tell what diff ratio i have? if its a 3.6 and i change it for a 3.9 what sort of differance will it make to topend :unsure: or should i just leave it as is? any help on changes that i can do without large cost i would be very gratefull :good: 8) cheers carl

To tell the diff ratio lift one rear wheel, chock the other and count how many turns of the prop-shaft it takes to turn the free wheel twice. If it's difficult to tell between 3.6 and 3.9 turns then multiply by a fixed factor and count again i.e. go for 20 turns of the roadwheel and you're now looking for the difference between 36 and 39 turns of the propshaft (just multiplying by 5 would be better as it should make the difference big enough to easily spot without you wasting your whole weekend under the car).

Iain