Hot And Bothered

Guest jamesandrew

Guest pwlcarz

Andrew

The Coolman should fit where the standard rad does (mine did). See pic attached.

Biggest problem trying to fit one in the nose of the S7 is lack of space caused by the inboard suspension coilovers. May not be impossible, if you use a small compact rad like the Polo one but could be difficult. It's obviously easier in a 2B with outboard coilovers.

post-1735-1241673368_thumb.jpg

Guest jamesandrew

Thanks

May try coolman rad looks good in picture if it should fit

Also may put vents in bonnet , whats best way to cut painted bonnet (aluminium)

regards andrew

Guest pwlcarz

Andrew

My bonnet was a Stainless one and I fitted a 5 louvre vent.

Simply marked the position where I wanted it and drilled a series of holes just inside the marks. Then cut through the holes with a decent straight pair of snips. Finally tidied up the edges and pop riveted the vent in place. I did use some grey silicone sealant around the edges to seal up any gaps.

When I drilled the holes I supported the bonnet on an old piece of kitches worktop so the pressure of drilling wouldn't make any unwanted dents. I should think good support would be mandatory on an ally bonnet to avoid any damage.

HTH

Guest jamesandrew

Just an update,flushed out rad+flushed out all hoses+engine water looked very dirty.

Took out thermostat and left out to try as stat opened at about 95 degrees,filled up with water

Ran car for half hour temp steady at 90 when in traffic crept up to 110 then once moving again dropped to 90.

Will keep thermostat out for time being and put antifreeze in,also try to fit electric push fan in nose cone+bonnet vents.

thanks for all replys very helpfull

andrew

I am currently running a Coolman in the nose which generally keeps things cool enough, i have added a 100mm ducting tube from the nose to the carb filter and have 2 small brackets on the scuttle topped with a bit of fuel hose which just props up the rear of the bonnet by 5 to 10mm, since doing this i get 80 degs most of the time with 88 after a caneing.

Also have an oil cooler the oil hits 90 to 100 but no more.

The venting of the under bonnet nhot air made a very big difference, my first solution was to gaffer two lengths of fuel pipe to the rear bonnet edge, this helped so much i added the brackets.

• 1 year later...
Guest atromford

ive also got s7 on sieria running gear. bought in 2008 and had to get AA out twice on the way home. and if i had my way firebrigade aswell(misses in her car talked me out off it). any way, it had the orgianal cortina rad and ran assembly in nose cone. cars had an overhaul and i orderd a new fan and rad from RH. which after i was told it would be a direct replacement but double skinned rad i was speeking french when it obestly wouldnt fit. i moved it to engine bay with a slimline motorsport fan pulling and the fan from RH in nose cone. it wont let me add pics (2 big), give me email and ive got sevrel pics showing setup.

chris

[many thanks

andrew