Sierra Rear Camber Wedges

Peter Bell

I have had some rear camber correction wedges made for my car and can get some more produced, they will be about £25 for a pair if there are 5 people interested, cost should be less if greater nos. are needed. They are in aluminium, not as sexy a profile as Jim Stott’s or even Jim himself but work fine. Please email me if you are interested.

Peter.

Happy New Year everyone

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 1/2° which now gives me just over 1° -ve at rest, it stops the back end wiggling over bumps too. I have had a couple of replies for these so far thanks chaps if I can get another one I will get some made and risk selling the others.

Regards Peter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi Jim,

The Sierra rear wheels have a bit of camber, that is, the top of the wheel sits slightly in and the bottom sits slightly our, have a look at the back end of a Seirra next time you are sitting behind one in traffic. The theory is that as you are corning hard in the heavy car the tyre moves and sits flat on the road.

The Robin Hoods don't have the weight to do this, you need the tyre to sit more flat all the time so you correct it with an angled wedge, it's shaped a bit like a door stop and sits behind the brake plate. Some people use an extra washer on the top bolts bit you lose contact aria.

hope this helps.

• 7 months later...
Guest Mike Perry

Hi All

Peter tells me that he can still possibly get these camber wedges made up. The minimun batch seems to be 5 sets.

Well I want a set, only 4 more to go any one else want some?

Come on you know it makes sense.

Guest Tim Norman

You could always just move the diff up so that the top is level with the mounting plate. that way you don't need to take the driveshafts apart. I did this during the early part of the build. ;)

Guest gordon_macnab

Without stating the obvious the degree of camber to be adjusted is specific to each car and what suspension and ride height you have as they are all individual. These wedges are obviously made to suit one car and although may change the camber on others the chances of getting the wheels vertical is a bit hit or miss.

I personally wouldn't bother, a degree of negative camber is helpful and will take a good while to show wear on the tyres, as for the wheel bearings they're under a lot less load than in the sierra so are probably over engineeredon a hood so they shouldn't have a problem.

Just look at the rear tyres of some of the modern performance cars and see the negative camber on them. My Focus has a lot of negative camber on the rears.

Only my thoughts though, each to their own.

Gordon

Thanks for the replies chaps, I will start getting some made up and let you know when they are ready.

Peter.

Edited 1.11.04

ps. Gordon, I assume you have the cosworth rear end on your car? I think you will find that the trailing arms give less negative camber than the standard ones as the car was designed to sit lower.