Bonnet Mods And Weather Gear

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

having decided to not run the car this year am thinking of making some low cost mods that your advice plans etc may be beneficial

i plan to chop bonnet with thin cutting disk but not measured up anything yet as to where to make the cut . was going to keep scuttle hinged to aid access if needed ( obviously secured in place .

to have front nosecone and remainder of bonnet hinged at front - does anybody have plans for a cradle to support this ( 2b sliding pillar)

i have full weather gear not fitted as yet but i have awning rail on top of windscreen - am wanting to put co ax onto fabric but not sure best way ( i know not to use poppers lol )

also i have a low mileage black top 1800 zetec in locker at work so am thinking of making engine supports / other items prepped for when /if pinto goes bang so any diagrams /sizes would be grateful

many thanks guys

Guest craig030774

also quite like the look of twin headlamps seen a couple at shows think they are street fighter ones but not sure if any one can enlighten

Guest salty_monk

Personally I would hinge & fix the nose cone in the same way you're going to fix the scuttle & keep the middle part as a removeable panel with 4 clamps.

It makes access so much easier, saves making a really strong heavy hingebrace for the fibreglass so it can support the stainless panel weight & improves access by a huge amount.

The main problem with a front hinged bonnet is wind - they are like a sail when up & you have to be very careful that you don't bust your nose cone....

Just my 2p

having decided to not run the car this year am thinking of making some low cost mods that your advice plans etc may be beneficial

i plan to chop bonnet with thin cutting disk but not measured up anything yet as to where to make the cut . was going to keep scuttle hinged to aid access if needed ( obviously secured in place .

to have front nosecone and remainder of bonnet hinged at front - does anybody have plans for a cradle to support this ( 2b sliding pillar)

i have full weather gear not fitted as yet but i have awning rail on top of windscreen - am wanting to put co ax onto fabric but not sure best way ( i know not to use poppers lol )

also i have a low mileage black top 1800 zetec in locker at work so am thinking of making engine supports / other items prepped for when /if pinto goes bang so any diagrams /sizes would be grateful

many thanks guys

Hi Craig I tried to post some pictures here but said they were to large so have sent them via email.

Martin

Edited by maca

Guest scotlad

Hi Craig i have some awning tape going spare if you want to put that on the leading edge of your hood as many others have done. I've done mine and i have a fair bit of tape left over so i can send some if you want. Let me know if you want/ message me your details and i'll sort it out :D

• 5 months later...
Guest craig030774

right got bonnet cut and hinged at front need a couple of bonnet catches now . fitted twin headlights not without problems due to bonnet hitting them and then suspension.

weather gear now here is the stumbling block

i have awning rail on top of windscreen so i had awning tape put in the front of the weather gear to supplement the poppers at the rear have had some lift the dot fasteners fitted look great but can i hell as like get the fabric to reach i have even moved the windscreen back so it is nearly flush with heater vents but i can only just get it to the rear and ideas as will be moving house shortly and need it done as it may live outside a while

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Craig

Pleased its taking shape.

Like Bob says you might have to lay the screen back a little.

Might be worth trying, as I have to with ours, leaving the main loop bar loose then when all the poppers are fastened put the tension into the roof by tightening the loop.

Just a thought.

Mine was initialy built without the hood being fitted and i had to move the screen back quite a lot to get it to fit properly and with the screen supports looking nice and square, spare holes filled and scuttle had to be repainted etc, damn inconvienance to say the least.

Mike

Guest sadjagboy

Here is a pic of my hinge frame on my sliding pillar, I've added another cross bar at the front since the photo was taken and used counter sunk bolts to attach it to the bonnet. The general design of mine owes many of the good aspects to Grizzly's design (have a look at his website for pictures of how he did his), the poorer points are all mine :rolleyes:

post-2911-1256159211_thumb.jpg