Important - Road Tax

Guest Angel Boy

Guest Angel Boy

All,

Just a quick reminder that as of the 1st January 2004 the laws have changed regarding road tax (see link below)

Road Tax Link

Basically, if it isn't taxed or had a SORN done by the time the the disc runs out you will get fined £80 (maybe a little more complex then that, but it is basically true).

If you pay within 28 days you will only get fined £40.

Please read and digest. Hope it saves a couple of fines. B)

Andy

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Note also that is it worth checking that they receive your SORN.

I sent mine off and when, at a year off-road, I never received my renewal I gave the DVLA a ring. They claimed that the vehicle had never been declared on a SORN!

Filled in another sharpish and also sent a letter stating the case.

Stuart.

But you don't always get that form - I didn't on a couple of my motors which were bought without a tax disc. You then get a form which you have to send to the DVLA.

I think they are on a bit of a sticky wicket threatening to fine you after relying on a letter in the post. If they try then the burden of proof must surely be upon them to prove that you didn't post the SORN notification. After all what do you get to prove that they got it? At least with a tax disc you have something tangible to prove that you've done the right thing. And I've never got a receipt for a sorn notification at a post office.

Iain

Guest TerryBarry

I got a Post Office receipt for my SORN

It's not very impressive - measures 4.5 x 3 inches

Gives address of Post Office

Date & Time

Reads

RVL sorn Vehicle Registration

Total due to post Office £0.00

I'll see if a copy can be attached

Terry

Edited by TerryBarry

Guest Petemate

Hi all

Like Terry, I also got a receipt. :) I was going to ask for something to prove I'd declared but they gave it me without any prompting. :wub: Quite efficient I thought.

As with some others, I got "caught" when I first had the donor bits and V5, 'cos I thought that the previous owner had declared SORN - how wrong I was, that cost me 25 squid. :(

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest mickmellors

Another word of caution - I sold my wifes old Renault to a workmate for £100 as a stop gap when his car was stolen back in January 03. I gave him the whole V5, including the bit I should have sent off to notify DVLA that I had sold the vehicle. He said he would send it off with his bit to save me the postage.

He burnt the clutch out on the Renault after just 2 weeks whilst towing a mates Volvo estate home 10 miles and consequently scrapped the Renault before sending off the V5. The car is still in my name at DVLA and as the tax ran out in March they are doing me for not notifying them of SORN status.

So much for doing a mate a favour ! ! !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charley

I have just received a nice letter from DVLA

Confirming my SORN as from the correct date.

What a surprise, They never sent one last year, So there is hope.

Charley

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Matt,

You can mail DVLA - the address is on their webbo..

I did this to confirm that they had actually bothered registering mine after last years forgetfulness - they will mail you back the details in confirmation..

Stuart.