Fixed Scuttle

gomatthome

finally thinking of taking the plunge. Anyone have any suggested dimensions as to where to make that cut.

bonet off the car but not decided where to get the angle grinder to it.

thanks

Phil

nb 2b4 stainless with injection hump

Hi

a few of us have done this. if you take a look here

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...ent_zed+scuttle

you'll see a couple of cars including mine. i can get you the measurements if you want. Ive also shown how ive fixed my nose cone to match the bonnet curve which you may find useful depending on how you intend to fit the nose cone.

hth

edit - i used a jigsaw with a metal blade and drew my line on masking tape to protect the surface as i cut.

Edited by agent_zed

Guest Ian & Carole

When I cut ours I used a jig saw, thought the heat from the angle grinder might cause a problem and certainly wouldn't use one on a stainless bonnet.

two thicknesses of 2" masking tape and take your time.

Whenever i have used a jigsaw on SS or MS i used plenty of water to keep the blade cool and it lasts a lot longer too , the last time i cut up a whole sheet of 6'x3'x1/16 MS into brackets useing one blade and it still last well before i snapped it in the end.

Mike

The latest version of metal cutting discs are only 1mm thick,put very little heat into the work & the burr is very easy to remove. Done all the cutting on my s/steel with these, also needs the minimum of support. Just make sure you start your grinder away from the work as torque reaction will make the blade wander on start-up.

Guest dremmel1

I've cut two just lately ;) on different cars I hasten to add ;) used a 1mm thick 115mm dia stainless cutting disc, no problem, masking tape as Ian said and take your time. Measurements I used were 300mm down from top of scuttle or 60mm up from first vent. Be brave, take the plunge you'll not regret it :good: :good:

Alan

Guest craig030774

just did this yesterday used a 1mm disk in angle grinder put masking tape on and used a straight edge from the louves then by eye marked a line down the edge as took over an hour trying to measure and never looked right

but by doing the line by eye and standing back then following with the grinder slowly it looks a treat will post some pictures later

If you weren't so far away I'd come over there and give you a ---------------------------------- hand; with the gaffer tape. It's the same at this end with our car -- hours, sometimes days pondering then 2 minutes work, then on to the next ponder. 300 hours to build? Add another zero.

LOL

300 hours? I spent more time on the bog during my build.

When the DVLA finally get their finger out and give me a Logbook, I'll have to have a trip down to the New Forest................. to inspect the quality of your gaffer tape application.

:D

Guest FIRSTBUILD

just do it - the cut doesnt have to absolutely perfect as you will have to cover the two cut edges with something like edging strip.

Steve

I'm just hope you don't have access to a circular saw or even an axe. I can just imagine the carnage.

When Graham came down, he was surprised to learn I refer to my Angle Grinder as "The Scalpel" so I'm trying to get into the higher echelons of bodgedom :D