Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Guest robinj66

Guest robinj66

My car was SVA'd in October but has yet to make it to a single show.

First I bashed the sump and had to shorten it - a steep learning curve but a worthwhile exercise. The hardest part for me was trying to shorten the oil feed pipe an appropriate length.

Next the car decided to dump coolant out at a rapid rate - all within about a mile or so of starting out. this is omething that quite a few people seem to suffer from with various engines. Lots of reading on the the forum brought up lots of suggestions.

Fitting an expansion/overflow tank only seemed to delay the inevitable :( . I removed the thermostat which made no real difference ; I changed the rad cap for a higher rated one but to no avail :glare: and i changed the rad thermostatic switch for a lower temp one ; I removed and checked the water pump (not so easy on the Cologne engine as you have to remove the crank pulley in a very tight space and I ended up stripping threads on the thermostat housing so that had to be repaired :cray: ) only to find out that I have a limited edition water pump for which there is no gasket available :help:

I finally took the sensible approach (something I usuially try to avoid 8P ) and took the rocker covers & rockers off so that i could attack the head bolts. Strangely the haynes manual has 4 stages of tightening down the heads and of course, in my hurry to get OTR and registered I hadn't completed stage 4. :aggressive:

So, today, in between the rain showers, with heads duly torqued, water in the rad and holding my breath - I took her for a lengthy road test and no water lost!!!! :pardon: The electric fan has cut in & out, temp gauge has gone high up the scale but basically I seem to have done it.

Lesson for today - RTFM :rolleyes:

Now all I have to do is fit a sreen, wipers and washers, raise the rear ride height and possibly fit longer springs. Then think about wet weather gear and a permanent rear boot-lid.

Oh and make it to a show in my car. Unfortunately it won't be at Newark - Bl**dy family members and their birthdays :db:

Guest pwlcarz

Congratulations on finally sorting it out.

I'm intrigued and impressed that you've got your Stainless S7 through SVA.

I've got an S7 in Stainless but fortunately it was built/completed some time ago, as looking at it and some of the problems others have recounted with SVA, I would have thought it would be horrendous on this model to get it to an acceptable standard.

Well done again.

Guest robinj66

I did have a few problems at SVA, mainly due to the fact that I saw three differents sets of testers - each had their own ideas about what would pass.

The main problem area was the rigidness of the mounts for the steering column and the pedals/master cylinder - there was definitely some movement and I had to use a lot opf angle iron to create an over-engineered subframe. At least it allowed me to practise my very poor welding.

I also put in an extra bearing on the steering column - may be overkill but steering/ braking is very firm.