Making A Car Look Like A Different Car!

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

Just my view on going out to copy the looks and styling of another car!

I love looking at some of the weird and wonderful cars in this world. Ebay gives some great examples to some of the lengths people go to, to build a car that looks like something else (I wouldn't even want to attempt to do anything like that).

But what I always find strange is when someone sets out to build say a GT40, Audi TT or a Ferrari and it drops quite a bit short i.e totally wrong styling, dimensions, or just missing the point, putting some quite rubbish parts on that spoil it.

I have seen some MR2 replicas say 26k spent on this to make it look like a Ferrari, when I have seen Ferraris for sale for 30-40k and also at that price range you could get some lovely cars and after spending all this money and then when it doesn't even look like a Ferrari then I wonder in some case's what’s the point, yeah if you spent say 5k on making your MR2 look exactly like a Ferrari then fair play but spending say 26k and countless man hours on a car when you could get some seriously nice cars for that price then I would want it to be exactly like one not just sorta like one or ok from a distance....

Links below of a GT40 and a Audi TT which the GT40 looks ok from front and side but when you look at the rear it just looks a bit, well, rubbish and when someone’s asking for almost 11k for a car that looks like that from the back I do start to wonder.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260417140035

or this Audi TT replica

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320377213008

It looks more like a street KA and has a 1.4 rover metro engine in the wheels/ interia just seems to have no effort at all why call it a TT replica when it looks nothing like one (well maybe just from the front ) and spend thousends of hours to create something that well looks like a KA!

I have seen some fantastic replicas of cars made to look like lambo's, Ferraris, dodge vipers or just about anything, I have seen the videos on you tube and some you cant even tell the difference

And I know budgets, other issues etc can come into play but If I had the sudden urge to turn my vectra into a Lamborghini I would want it looking like one I wouldn't want to end up with one that looks like one from the front but a Lada from the back

Tony

Some people just like messing with cars, I’ve bought cars in the past spent more on them than they are worth but enjoyed it! I’d be rich if I had never learnt to drive or ride bikes.

The ones who make me laugh the most are the chav boy racers who spray there cars in super glue and ram raid Halfords 1.0L corsa's with exhausts the size of dustbins who always seem to want a race when I’m my kit...

Each to there own it’s what makes Britain great all the eccentrics and dreamers

Dan

Guest sritony

I never seem to get them wanting to race me when in the kit but yes we get lots of halfords ram raiders up here each to their own I guess!

I built one of those Banham's years ago for a bit of a laugh......turned out to be an absolute nightmare. Finish was so poor it was incredibly difficult to get looking right and panel gaps were variable to say the least!

Good fun and cheap though, £2.5k saw you on the road.

Guest docter fox

I agree on the fake ferrari front... to make them look anywhere near the same you have to spend about the cost of a ferrari and they will never sound the same! I was following a couple of ferraris on the pistonheads easter sunday run and there is nothing else that sounds like that, nm an mr2...

although just to confuse things... I actually quite like the look of "the exception" :D

Guest docter fox

That ferrari with a 2cv bodykit is cool! although I do think it would be better if they'd left the body a bit closer to a 2cv rather than a van...