Bike Carb Update

Guest red hornet

Guest red hornet

Hi guys, just to updqte on my bike carb problems, I changed the jets to 1.3mm which is now 100% better, problem i still have is that when you rev if through the gears in second I seam to be getting popping/ backfiring through the carbs, all other gears seam ok, do they need balacing? dont know how to do that, if any body can let me know that would be great, thanks Ian. :D

Guest Techmage
do they need balacing? dont know how to do that,

Ian

To balance the carbs correctly you realy need a 4 vacuum guage setup designed for bike carbs. But a reasonable attempt

can be made by using a small diameter tube and listening to the noise each carb makes at idle (obviously without the air cleaner)

what your after is all the carbs sounding the same. Next thing to check is that all the carbs open together, you don't need the engine

running just watch them as the throttle is very slowly opened they should all start to lift together.

I take it you have already checked the float heights and that there are no air leaks

Peter

There are 2 types of balance gauges for the job but the 4 gauge type cannot be attached to the carbs there is no take off points. you will need one that you push fit into the trumpet and you just check all 4 one at a time and adjust each one as required until they all read the same.

Do you still get the pops when the engine is up to full temp ? unless i use the choke (fuel enrichment circuit :D ) until the engine is warm mine will pop a bit.

Dan

Guest red hornet
There are 2 types of balance gauges for the job but the 4 gauge type cannot be attached to the carbs there is no take off points. you will need one that you push fit into the trumpet and you just check all 4 one at a time and adjust each one as required until they all read the same.

Do you still get the pops when the engine is up to full temp ? unless i use the choke (fuel enrichment circuit :D ) until the engine is warm mine will pop a bit.

Dan

Hi Dan, yes it still pops when it is warm, Iam a bit thick when it comes to these carbs were do i adjust them, is there a point on the carb its self?, thanks Ian. :rolleyes:

Guest robin

hi,

there's a screw/spring arrangement in between each carb which alters the throttle opening in relation to each other.

be warned, this is a lengthy and sometimes frustrating job (to the neighbours especially).

start at the throttle cable end first and then move on to the next etc...

it really is best to get setup at a rolling road. worth every penny.

robin

I 2nd the rolling road i had no hassle whats so ever with my conversion just put the bits on trailered it to the dyno as it would barely run. ive already done 900miles in a couple of months with no probs what so ever...worth every penny...

If you had to buy a balencer they are around £40 to £50 the dyno cost £160

Guest mtechautomotive
I 2nd the rolling road i had no hassle whats so ever with my conversion just put the bits on trailered it to the dyno as it would barely run. ive already done 900miles in a couple of months with no probs what so ever...worth every penny...

If you had to buy a balencer they are around £40 to £50 the dyno cost £160

Where abouts are you? We have done several bike carb setups for people now on our rollers, and happy to take a look...

Cheers,

Matt