Increasing Bhp On A Pinto

Guest AndrewH

Guest AndrewH

I am running a standard 2.0ltr pinto with a new 32/36 twin weber. The runs really well but I I like the idea of a bit more power.

I don't want to spend the earth and previously had bike carbs set up which I really didn't get on with.

Having talked to Burton power they say on the twin weber I can move to a Stage 1 head (unleaded) and FR32 cam. This will take me to 130bhp.

All in, with a alloy vernier this will cost about £700.

The advantage I can see is that it gives me a overhauled top end (engine 27 years old) and means I can run on unleaded plus extra power.

Is anyone running this set up and is it worth spending the money on the new head? I am pretty convinced about changing the cam either way I have seen many post of piper 285/FR32 cam and they both look like they do a similar job.

Also is there a cheaper better way to get the power?

thanks

I'm just getting to grips with a similar setup after a recent engine swap, and if I'm totally honest I wish I hadn't bothered. Everyone will tell you an FR32 is fine for pottering around town at 3mph, but in my experience it's almost impossible to drive slowly, and I have to give it a lot of beans to pull away from standstill without stalling. I've not been caught in a traffic jam yet, but when I do it's going to be a nightmare! :o

I'm sure you'll hear a dozen positive responses for every negative one like mine, and if power is what you want then that's what you should do, but for me I think I've realised having a car that's easy to drive is more important.

Oh, and definitely don't lighten the flywheel !! :rolleyes:

I don't like Kent road cams. Race cams are fine but for the road I would go with the Piper 285 I used to have in my pinto. Also had a stage 1 head and twin 40 DHLA's. That was OK for tootling along in traffic down to tescos or sitting in a jam going round Birmingham but on track was a pepperami. I always used to think that I could have gone for one level higher than the 285 and still had a drivable road car.

But I had it set up on a good rolling road. I can't understand why anyone makes such big changes to an engine and then just hopes the carburation will take up the slack and it will run like a standard tintop. Just occasionally you may get lucky but plan to put it on the rollers and spend a few more quid. You won't regret it.

The other thing I would say is try to develop the engine as a whole and all aspects to a similar level if you want to enjoy driving the car. Slapping twin 45's on a standard engine or sticking in a race cam by itself will just give you nightmares. Set a target and alter head, cam and carburation together. It seems more expensive that way but it is the way to go.

Nigel

p.s. mod a spare injection head. Take it down to your local engineer and have three angle valve seats cut and a skim of 60 thou. Then get the grinder out and just clean up the ports and combustion chamber so there are no steps and all is blended in. Won't cost more than £150 and you will have a stage 1 head to complement the piper cam.

Guest Top Cat
I'm just getting to grips with a similar setup after a recent engine swap, and if I'm totally honest I wish I hadn't bothered. Everyone will tell you an FR32 is fine for pottering around town at 3mph, but in my experience it's almost impossible to drive slowly, and I have to give it a lot of beans to pull away from standstill without stalling. I've not been caught in a traffic jam yet, but when I do it's going to be a nightmare! :o

I'm sure you'll hear a dozen positive responses for every negative one like mine, and if power is what you want then that's what you should do, but for me I think I've realised having a car that's easy to drive is more important.

Oh, and definitely don't lighten the flywheel !! :rolleyes:

Hmm this post is interesting, I am considering options of increasing the power on my 2.0l pinto. currently running a twin choke webber and std cam, if I went the bike carb route would I have to do anything to the head?

Hmm this post is interesting, I am considering options of increasing the power on my 2.0l pinto. currently running a twin choke webber and std cam, if I went the bike carb route would I have to do anything to the head?

Mine was a standard pinto before i bike carbed it the head and cam are still standard fuel injection spec i,ve read specs of people putting cams in and they are not gaining much over what i,ve got

Gbs manifold firebalde carbs bestek ignition facet silver top pump filterking regulator vernier cam pulley my car flys its so much quicker than standard its unbeliveable. The best thing is thou i can pull 5th from 25mph and it revs its wheel nuts off pulls 115mph redlined on a 3.92 diff 0 to 60 is smidge slower than my mates exige s. round town on a track it does it all.

All in it cost me about £480 plus £160 for the rolling road i,m not doing anymore to the pinto now it will cost to much to make any major gains i,m going to enjoy for the summer and change to 16valves in the winter..

If anyone is curious you are welcome to come out in my car and see for yourselves before you spend the time and money.

Guest bettinson2005

hi my question is that i dont know that much about my car only that i bought it last year :unknw: have tinkled with the carbs and had to rebuild the engine with a mate.. its a 2ltr pinto with 32/36 dgav carbs.. did try 38dgas but didnt get on with them so went back to 32/36 . thought about bike carbs but funds are low. the car will do 100mph happily but i was wondering what i can do thats CHEAP to get better power for a poss track day .. will a rolling road be worth the money or is there another option :) i will also say that the pinto is standard cheers for any help carl

Dan, what's your cold start like? Will you be at Newark?

Cold start is on the button with choke, runs and ticks over perfect will start without choke but pops if you try to rev it. If there is no rain i will be at newark if not i live 28miles away you are welcome to come and have a look.

Dan

hi my question is that i dont know that much about my car only that i bought it last year :unknw: have tinkled with the carbs and had to rebuild the engine with a mate.. its a 2ltr pinto with 32/36 dgav carbs.. did try 38dgas but didnt get on with them so went back to 32/36 . thought about bike carbs but funds are low. the car will do 100mph happily but i was wondering what i can do thats CHEAP to get better power for a poss track day .. will a rolling road be worth the money or is there another option :) i will also say that the pinto is standard cheers for any help carl

My vernier cam gave an extra 6bhp the bike carbs gave 24bhp. the pulley was £76 Gbs manifold £100 ebay for the carbs will be cheaper than buying as complete set off gbs if you can get it running to a degree the rolling road would be a bit cheaper than i paid at £160

There is no real cheap way of doing anything i found as i changed one thing i needed another

Guest AndrewH
I don't like Kent road cams. Race cams are fine but for the road I would go with the Piper 285 I used to have in my pinto. Also had a stage 1 head and twin 40 DHLA's. That was OK for tootling along in traffic down to tescos or sitting in a jam going round Birmingham but on track was a pepperami. I always used to think that I could have gone for one level higher than the 285 and still had a drivable road car.

But I had it set up on a good rolling road. I can't understand why anyone makes such big changes to an engine and then just hopes the carburation will take up the slack and it will run like a standard tintop. Just occasionally you may get lucky but plan to put it on the rollers and spend a few more quid. You won't regret it.

The other thing I would say is try to develop the engine as a whole and all aspects to a similar level if you want to enjoy driving the car. Slapping twin 45's on a standard engine or sticking in a race cam by itself will just give you nightmares. Set a target and alter head, cam and carburation together. It seems more expensive that way but it is the way to go.

Nigel

p.s. mod a spare injection head. Take it down to your local engineer and have three angle valve seats cut and a skim of 60 thou. Then get the grinder out and just clean up the ports and combustion chamber so there are no steps and all is blended in. Won't cost more than £150 and you will have a stage 1 head to complement the piper cam.

Guest AndrewH

Thanks Longboarder. I really like the simplicity of the pinto engine and would like to stock with it. I like the idea of £150 and a bit of hard work to get an equivalent stage 1 head. Who do you recommend to supply the Piper cam?

thnks

Guest DROID

Dan,

I see you used a manifold from GBS, have you got an air filter and if so did you need to cut the bonnet? I'm just about look at fitting zx600 carbs and would like to fit with the pipercross foam filter but don't want to cut my bonnet.

Thanks..........Andy

Kit is available from Piper for £240 but you would need to add a vernier pulley, £50 off ebay. I bought mine from the local stockist in Tavistock. Went to piper website and they list dealers.

If you have energy and time you can do some work on both inlet and exhaust manifolds to match them to the ports in the head. I know the pinto fourbranch RH exhaust is a very poor match and is easy to make big improvements.

Nigel

Guest jasonmorris

Hi,

Just thought I would add that in my opinion getting extra power from the pinto is rarely cheap. Even to get a modest 30bhp increase over the standard 100 or so will cost 500 to 700 quid depending on the route you take (bike carbs, webers, cam, head etc...). After this point trust me you are talking very serious cash, I no, been there got the T-shirt. In hindset you would be much better off spending this serious money on a zetec (£750 from GBS), vauxhall redtop etc... The problem is that once you upgrade one part of the engine, then another also needs upgrading to cope.

I have spent thousands on my pinto over a period of time and really wished I had saved my money. Oh well you live and learn, and at least it's going in my Zero :D

Jason