Electric Fuel Pump

Guest andrewbricknell

Guest andrewbricknell

Can anyone tell me what the most suitable (and easiest I hope) feed for a relay to control an electric fuel pump is.

I was thinking of using the +ve feed to the coil as I gather this is controlled by the ignition switch, which I tested with the multimeter. As it is all in the same area i was hoping it would be a short cable run to do!

This is for the ZX6R carbs I am shortly to fit!!

Thanks

Sounds like you are planning on putting the pump in the engine bay, most of them won't pump air or self prime so need to be below and near the fuel tank.

The relay could be powered from any ignition controlled power supply, but you might want to consider an inertia switch in the set up too.

Sounds like you are planning on putting the pump in the engine bay, most of them won't pump air or self prime so need to be below and near the fuel tank.

The relay could be powered from any ignition controlled power supply, but you might want to consider an inertia switch in the set up too.

will be poping round me thinks thursday if thats ok steve

Ignition switched live supply to the fuel pump relay switching circuit. This can be taken from any fused supply to a component normally only active when ignition is on. So heater, wipers, ignition switch position 1 (the yellow 'radio' wire) or 2, reverse light switch, etc. I would avoid the feed to the coil in case it drops the voltage and you get a missfire.

The switched side of the relay can have a suitably rated fused constant live from battery positive or any other suitable constant live. Adding a impact circuit breaker relay or oil pressure cut switch as a safety feature is sensible. Saves you lying under the car after a crash listening to the fuel pump giving you a petrol shower.

Nigel