Covering Sharp Edges On Exhaust Items

harvs

Hi

I need to cover the 3 bolts near the cat/silencer...

post-662-1245246782_thumb.jpg

and the nut for the lambda sensor which is welded to the exhaust tube...

post-662-1245246848_thumb.jpg

Obviously most rubber fittings would probably melt, so will likely need something made of metal. I guess I could use exhaust past to 'glue' something on etc.

Just wondered what creative ideas others have come up with / suggestions etc?!

Many thanks

Harvs

Hi Harvs

No bolts on mine just held on by friction and high temp epoxy between outside of cone and heat shield!

The cover for the lambda sensor is held on by 2 drilled and tapped exhaust clamps the edges of the exhaust are covered with the bonnet chrome edging stuff but has only lasted about 750 miles but split copper pipe should do the trick (another winter job to go on the list)

Robinhood001jpg-1.jpg

HTH

Steve

Hi

Harvs,

I would saw the extra thread off and use dome nuts as other have suggested. If you don't want to buy domed nuts you could shape the ones you have. I've done this by screwing the nut onto a 50mm long bolt and put the bolt into my cordless drill chuck. I then held the drill tight against the bench and filed the nut corners using the drill like a lathe. I'm not saying this is a safe thing to do but I did wear safety glasses and I still have all my fingers. If you have a way of clamping the drill to the bench you can use both hands to hold the file (but don’t forget the safety glasses).

NB - Remember which way the thread runs or you'll find yourself filing the chuck.

This is subject to the knee test so you only need to file off the corners where that knee tool could touch them.

With regard to the Lambda sensor I don’t think you need to cover this because it is between the exhaust and the body and you couldn’t get a knee in there.

If anyone has failed on the edges of the lambda sensor or nut when it is in this position then I’m wrong :) . If it does need to be covered then I would (will) use a small piece of stainless steel to make a mini version of the exhaust cover with a flange at the bottom.

John (jwts)

Guest robinj66

Use exhaust wrap - that's what I had to do to cover up the nasty sharp edges on my exhaust clamps :rolleyes:

May look a bit pants but is certainly durable and smooths out those rough contours. It can also be persuaded to fall off afterwards (if that is your wish) without having to damage your original fittings :D

Great, thanks guys - some good stuff.

I like the sound of the dome nuts. Not sure if the bolts may be high tensile, so may be a bit tricky to saw off, but will give it a go.

For the glass fibre / exhaust wrap - does this stick to it's self or would I need some method of sticking it on?

Cheers for the help

Harvs

I like the sound of the dome nuts. Not sure if the bolts may be high tensile, so may be a bit tricky to saw off, but will give it a go.

High tensiles just take a bit more work, but for the terminally lazy like me, it's a perfect scenario for the ubiquitous Dremel ... well a cheap mains copy from when Maplin had an offer on.

Guest robinj66

For the glass fibre / exhaust wrap - does this stick to it's self or would I need some method of sticking it on?

Cheers for the help

Harvs

Mine came with stainless "tie-wraps". the wrap itself is not sticky (just scratchy)

Guest nevans
Hi

post-662-1245246782_thumb.jpg

post-662-1245246848_thumb.jpg

Obviously most rubber fittings would probably melt, so will likely need something made of metal. I guess I could use exhaust past to 'glue' something on etc.

Just wondered what creative ideas others have come up with / suggestions etc?!

Many thanks

Harvs

hi

dome/acorn nuts available at good old b&q ,for lambda sensor just use a file and round off the corners of the nut to 5mm

Nigel

Guest super-duper-millionaire

i covered my exhaust clamp (standard u bolt clamp) with milliput 2part stuff. and smoothed it with water, it smelt odd when hot, but it worked.

it has lasted 800miles, then conveniently, today, fallen off leaving no mess :-p

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Harvs,

I covererd the Lambda sensor bolt by welding on a piece of tube which I added a rounded edge to. It doesn't cover the nut up completely, so it's easy to get at to unbolt the Lambda sensor if required, but it's just enough to stop the sphere from getting in at the sharp edges of the bolts.

PICT0023.jpg

And for the end bolts I welded some domed nuts to some tubing in order to make some domed covers

PICT0024.jpg

Phill.