Duratec Engine

Guest stuart_

Guest stuart_

hi all, has anybody doing or done a pinto to duratec engine converion?

i am think of a 2.0 duratec engine with bike carbs, and megajolt, not a big fan off megasquirt simply because i do not know anythink about it, and taht means me and my dad can play about with bike carbs in the gragre at home.lol

i know i need a new bellhousing, but not to sure about the flywheel, and clutch, and i want hydloic clucth.

any advice will help.

i am hoping for a winter mod or 2.lol

thanks

stuart

well stuart have a drink and think about it then have a few more and become a boxer dog like newark you will see soon enough speek to dean at gbs hes making one up for richard ;)

Guest robin

hi stuart,

i could be wrong but i'm not sure if bike carbs could be setup well enough to pass the emissions test for that age of engine.

throttle bodies and megasquirt would be ok though but you're not too keen on them. you'd also need a CAT i'd assume?

robin

Its a tall engine and will need a short sump, i think there is one for the Caterham.

Have a chat with Burton Performance as they now sell this engine and all the bits to go with it inplace of the Cosworth/Pinto.

Rally design also have a lot of bits for the Duratec.

Its a fabulous engine so don't discount fuel injection just yet, infact it would be wise to fit fuel lines for injection with feed and return, use injection rubber pipe that way in the future the upgrade will be much easier.

hi stuart,

i could be wrong but i'm not sure if bike carbs could be setup well enough to pass the emissions test for that age of engine.

throttle bodies and megasquirt would be ok though but you're not too keen on them. you'd also need a CAT i'd assume?

robin

iam pretty sure that if the car is already registered with a plate before 1994 (i think) you don't need a cat regardless of how new the engine is. hth

Guest stuart_

hi all, well i got the kit registered in january, well i wont need a cat for 3 years anyway.lol

but the duartec engine talk is still going, well i spoke to someone say on teh duratec engine i could archive 180bhp on bike throttle boddies, running megasquirt, so i think that sounds good.lol

as i have a 1.6pinto and i want a 2.0 as i will be 18 and need more power so i through, forget the 2.0pinto, and zetec go for a nice duratech engine, so the exhaust exits teh same side in bonnet.

right if i go duaretc engine running bike throttle boddies, and megasquirt, can i put a swirl pot in the engine bay, or up in the nose area, so i do not need to run enough line down the trannmission tunnel, such as pump from teh back of teh tank to the sirwl pot, then pump and filter to teh fuel rail, and return to the swirl pot? or will i get promblems with warmed fuel?

thanks

stuart

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chris_

Have you considered a zetec?

Granted you have to change the bonnet but it will bolt straight upto the type 9 box, both quote 145bhp standard, zetec is nearly 20kgs heavyer but i dont know if fords ali blocks run cylinder liners or are plated? (possible plating problems)

It might just be an easier swap?

Make it all easy as possible before you start playing with all that fuel injection rightness and elecktrikery :D

Oh and one for bone - http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x168/Ch...1_/IMG_1701.jpg

Chris

Guest Dan_Beeston

Whereever you put the swirl pot you will need a fuel return to the tank.........

Also, depending on your setup, you may need two pumps. A low pressure pump to get fuel from the tank to the swirl pot, and a gravity fed high pressure pump to feed the fuel rail.