Self Centering - One Side Only

Guest Alan

<_<

I know it is self centering again, but its the last item on my SVA failure list. Failed on no self centering at all, so pumped up tyres to 45psi and added loads of toe out. Result, reverts to centre on right handers but nothing on left. Any ideas please

Hi Alan,

I think you need toe in on rear wheel drive as the wheels are pushed back, front wheel drive has toe out as the wheels are pulling(hope this makes sense).

I'd take a step back and set the camber to nearly vertical with a few mm's in at top, then set a few mm's toe in and try again. If still no self centring you may need to look at the caster angles which aren't adjustable on a 2B+. I would avoid trying work arounds for SVA as this is for safety and you need it right.

Jez

Hi Alan,

I think you need toe in on rear wheel drive as the wheels are pushed back, front wheel drive has toe out as the wheels are pulling(hope this makes sense).

I'd take a step back and set the camber to nearly vertical with a few mm's in at top, then set a few mm's toe in and try again. If still no self centring you may need to look at the caster angles which aren't adjustable on a 2B+. I would avoid trying work arounds for SVA as this is for safety and you need it right.

Jez

Hi Jez

Thanks for your suggestions ,i reset the camber slightly negative and 2 turns of toe in both sides and its made it a little worse.I ve tried just about every combination of camber and toe now and even lowered the front suspension all to no avail.

Beginning to think it must be castor which means an inherent problem with my RH chassis.Well *bleep* off now so

have decided to take it down the local garage and get it professionally checked out.

Thanks again

Alan

Guest robin

hi,

dont forget you will need to take the rubber gaitors off the steering rack and thoroughly grease the moving parts as friction/stiff joints will stop it from self-centering.

i took mine to a garage to setup properly. slight camber and almost parallel toe setting-ever so slight toe-in.

my self-centre test at sva was to put the car at standstill, full lock in either direction and boot it while not holding the steering wheel! self centred almost to a straight line which was more than acceptable.

as usual it depends on the sva centre as to what the examiner finds an acceptable amount.

robin

Guest mark kingston
hi,

dont forget you will need to take the rubber gaitors off the steering rack and thoroughly grease the moving parts as friction/stiff joints will stop it from self-centering.

i took mine to a garage to setup properly. slight camber and almost parallel toe setting-ever so slight toe-in.

my self-centre test at sva was to put the car at standstill, full lock in either direction and boot it while not holding the steering wheel! self centred almost to a straight line which was more than acceptable.

as usual it depends on the sva centre as to what the examiner finds an acceptable amount.

robin

it has been know for the rack retaining U Clamps to have been done up too tight and actually making the rack tight.

mark