Rattling Like A Diesel

mwspit1500

Hi all

A bit of advice please,

I have just installed my cylinder head, and have set the valves as per the Haynes manual, but it rattles like a diesel.

It’s a 2.1 pinto with standard cam,

I can’t see any wear on the cam or the followers, the head has been converted to unleaded,

The head isn’t my original head I got it from eBay. So don’t know where or what it’s done.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I’m pulling my hair out and I don’t have much left

Thanks

Mark

Guest Noddy006
Hi all

A bit of advice please,

I have just installed my cylinder head, and have set the valves as per the Haynes manual, but it rattles like a diesel.

I can’t see any wear on the cam or the followers, the head has been converted to unleaded,

The head isn’t my original head I got it from eBay. So don’t know where or what it’s done.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I’m pulling my hair out and I don’t have much left

Thanks

Mark

Hello Mark

Just done a de-coke on a 2lt and when I started 1st one tappit sounded horrible. took of cover to find I had put 1 spring on wrong way round. Re-fitted correctly and all quiet. Don't know if 2.1 is same head/fitting but hope this helps. Ian

Hi all

A bit of advice please,

Thanks

Mark

could it be the camshaft bearings? if so how do you get them out?

thanks

mark

If you get a long handled screw driver and put the handle to your ear and then touch the rocker cover at different points you can hear whats going on a bit better and hopefully narrow it down to which bit is causing the problem. At a guess if the bearings were shot they would make a whirring sound (getting worse over time), if they were knocking i would think they would have to be in a pretty bad way (but thats just a guess) HTH

Guest mcramsay

if its the cam bearings then the cam would have some play in it, try giving it a shake side to side and forwards and backwards and see if there is any movement, there is also a locating tab at the back of the cylinder head, that holds the cam in place, make sure thats all tight, if that fails i would then set the engine to TDC and give all the cam followers a wiggle and see if there is any play in them (make sure the clamps are clamped over each follower aswell)

Guest peter2b2002

had that type of noise on the wifes car ,I did a head change on her Shogun as thenew head came complete with the cam, I just bolted it on, next day she took her horse to a show, called my on the way back to say the engine was making a loud noise -- I should have checked that the bolts holding the cam towers were done up, the good news - no damage done

peter2b

Guest Deano 777
could it be the camshaft bearings? if so how do you get them out?

thanks

mark

hi mark, it could be cam bearings? you will have to remove the head from the engine to remove the cam shaft, as it comes out towards the rear of the vehicle, the bearings should be pressed out, but if you dont have a press than you can use a soft drift and a hammer, puting them in can be done the same way. hope this helps you, Dean.