Savage Starter Switch

Guest jayg

Guest jayg

Hi all,

After finally getting the engine running (6 years after removing it from the donor) I ordered some savage switches, one of which is a starter button. The terminals are TINY and are rated at 6amps. My question is how do I wire the thing up to start the car- the engine cranking current will destroy a 6 amp spade won't it? I guess I'll have to use a relay??? but which one and how do I wire it? I know it would be easier to use the key but as my 2B is standard I wanted something a bit "trick"!!!

Cheers

Jay.

Hi,

If you have a relay already wired in for the ignition to the starter motor, then you should not need a seperate relay to the starter switch, just tap into the current ignition switch wiring...and hey presto! Mine has been fine for the past few months without any issues.

Guest jayg
Hi,

If you have a relay already wired in for the ignition to the starter motor, then you should not need a seperate relay to the starter switch, just tap into the current ignition switch wiring...and hey presto! Mine has been fine for the past few months without any issues.

Thanks for that- worrying about nothing then!! Does anyone know if IVA has anything against starter switches.

Guest jayg

Just had a quick look at the Haynes and at the car and the starter circuit (pos 3 on ignition switch) is a straight feed from 12v batt live to starter motor. Am I being completely stupid here for worrying or am I missing something obvious?

I assumed the starter switch replaced ignition switch position 3 but in order to to this I'll be supplying the main ignition feed to a 6 Amp switch.

Is there another way of wiring it up?

Try this circuit, use a standard automotive relay their about 30mm square any motor factors will have one. Be careful if you use one from the doner the pins may be in a different position but connect to the the correct number.

Jez

post-50-1247082464_thumb.jpg

Starter motors have thier own built in relay.

Small current goes through the pull in solonoid (coil of relay) and when the starter pinion has moved into position the internal contacts make and a few hundred amps flow.........................