Bl**dy Starter Motor

Guest jetskijase

Guest jetskijase

Hi All

I'm trying to source a starter motor for my pinto that will turn the engine fast enough to start it.

I've fitted a skimmed head (off ebay not sure how much) and the starter struggles to turn it, i have had it running so i dont think the engine is the prob( i have overhauked it so i was worryed bout tight bearings etc)

I have done all the obvious, running good earths charged new batt (one that came with kit) and i even got hold of a new recon starter motor, no joy still too slow :angry: :angry:

So i'am trying to find a starter from the diesel transit van to fit as karl did.

Can i find one?? no.

I thought i cracked it finding one at scrappy, didn't fit and he can only give me a credit note!!!! :angry: £20 credit note for a scrap yard!!

Called round today and scrappys are telling me i won't get a tranny starter to fit my 20lt pinto, laughing in some case's :angry:

So if anyone has any idea's :( :(

Is it a 2.4 diesel 2.5diesel small body large body 86-95 year? Thats wot i got asked.

It's really holding me up as i want to make sure engine is ok before proceeding much further

Help.

Jason

Guest Simon cooper

Hi Jason,

You have to be running a lot of compression to labour the starter motor. As a quick test, disconnect the main HT lead and then see if it cranks faster. If it does, then your timing is too far advaced.

If it is still slow, then put a volt meter accross the battery terminals and see what the voltage drops to on cranking. If it drops below 10 volts then your starter is stuffed. Probably only needs new brushes if that is the case, but you need a soldering iron the size of a cricket bat to do them. Just get a re-con.

When a starter motor is worn, on full draw it can take over 300 Amps. Poor battery!

Regards

Simon

Guest jetskijase

Hi

I would, but it's still slow turning when i take the spark plugs out, fast enough to draw petrol through and faster then with the sp plugs in but far too slow to start normally.

Cheers

Jase

Guest jetskijase

Hi Simon

I thought that too so i fitted a recon motor, still no better, in fact it was worse, just clicked, sometimes ingageing with the flywheel and turning slightly.

I'm beginning to think the batt supplied with the overhaul kit from rh might be duff, it was standing for over 18mth's.

I did charge it up for a day though <_<

jase

Guest 2BBoulton

<_< Craig Cowley had a similar problem and was resolved by fitting an uprated stater motor. Look at the thread Here

Drop him a PM and I am sure he will help out. Nice bloke, just remind him to turn the ignition on if he ever needs a push start though

Good luck

Bruce

Jase

Try a different battery, the ones i the overhall kit are okay,(just okay) i had to charge mine up when i fitted it to the car for the first time, (14 months standing)

If a battery becomes fully discharged then they are basically knackered.

take the one off you everyday car and try that (or jump leads)

and put the rh supplied on an charge for a day

hth

Mitch

Just a thought but there are 2 starter rings fitted to pintos.

I have forgotten the diference but the effect is as you describe.

Most pintos have the standard ring but some transits were fitted with a ring gear with a diferent number of teeth per inch, these required a special gear on the starter.

Sorry I do not know the measurements but perhaps someone will have thier memory jogged by this.

Ian