Mt75 Vs Type9

Guest yellow peril

Guest yellow peril

my gearbox went bang today (see chit chat) what the difference between the MT&75 and type 9, presume the 75 is better but by how much, is it worth upgrading and will it fit straight to my 83 pinto

Guest Battery Bill

Hello Mr Yellow Peril

If you live in Lincoln (I recon we have seen you a few times) we have a gearbox out of our Granada that you can have if you want it Its the same as a Sierra but electrical drive for the speedo.

:)

Guest yellow peril

am getting the car dismantled on tuesday to get the extent of the damage assessed, guessing it's well bashed, would be interested in knowing the deal on the gearbox battery bill.........will just strip the peril down a bit to check extent of injuries, expect full meltdown. you could well see me out and about, i don't worry about freezing to death that much so do get out when i can, yellow exmo-thats me

i asked on differences between the type 9 and 75, as i believed the mt75 replaced the type 9 box, guess by your reply rizla, there is begger all difference though.

bit gutted this morning, the sun was out but no hood to play with (well i say the sun was out but it was bluddy freezing), still woun't av minded going round the block though... as it's out of order for a bit a good opportunity to do some jobs that av been wanting to do,, bit of interior refurb i think.

Guest Battery Bill

Ben

would be interested in knowing the deal on the gearbox battery bill

Its sitting it our spare Granada just waiting to be tugged out, (Engine already out)

You can have it if you want it. :D

Bill

The MT75 is meant to be a little stronger than the type-9 (I've never managed to break a type-9 though). The MT75 is wider (a lot so how wide is your tunnel?) but it's shorter (so you'll need a different length propshaft - but this is the perfect opportunity). Have you found out what/why the previous setup failed yet? Like Bill I have a type-9 you can have for the price of collecting it but I live in Darwen Lancs so it'll be second choice.

Iain

Guest yellow peril

Cheers bill, I may have an engine with gearbox as a unit so may be ok, but if no luck, many thanks for the offer and i'll send u a post,,,

It'll be good to see another hood out and about in this part of the world, i haven't seen that many, although i understand there is a lincs group. Are u planning to be on the road this summer??

Guest Cantbearsed

:o Watch out for the MT75 Curse..... The back ends have a nasty habit of trying to hide in the main casing if the donor car has a slight tap in the rear. I've repaired many a good car only to be told by the owner that the gearbox gave up 2 - 3 weeks later. If insurance companies can't see it immediately, they pretend it's ok and let it go wrong later, at the owner's expense!!

Stick with the type 9, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Saying that, mine has a crack in the 5th gear housing where the bolt has made a break for it. Any one got a mechanically dead gearbox with a good casing i can liberate? :unsure: