Selling My Car Privately

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

Hi,

I sold my tin top to a guy from nearish Birmingham who said I cant come see car so if you just drop it off at a transport yard and I will arrange everything so, all communication over e-mails none over phone, but he transferred money into my account 300-400 under market value as I wanted quick sell and that I thought was that. It was a so a 2.2 Sri Vectra 04 reg for 2300 quid with 76k miles.

On the ebay advert the mistake I did make was that I said it was immaculate inside and out apart from a small Dint 5p sized, I had total forgot about some scratches where some kid had slid down the car on the front drivers side wing (well that’s what it looked like, I had lived with them 2 years) so as soon as he took del he compiled a e-mail complaining massively about these saying that I had mislead him etc etc, and would cost 300 quid to put right, he also mentioned 2 door length ones that weren’t there when I delivered it, the ones on bonnet weren’t deep or even that noticeable after about 10 e-mails he calmed down and said hope we both learnt a lesson here (me on advert wording and him on buying without looking)

But today hes e-mailed me saying that hes had it into a vauxhall dealer and 3 coil springs are snapped and a massive list of faults including brakes seized and worn down to metal (the brakes were done last year with its service in May 2008 and passed its MOT in Aug 08 fine) and now he is going to report me to the Authorities for selling him a dangerous and unroad worthy car

So getting a little worried now and so is GF, what can I do? I can’t afford to give him any money or money back for car

Tony

i may be wrong, but legally i dont think he has any chance, he should have inspected the car, you have a repciet for work done i presume, he bought it froma auction, he didnt take steps to check, its basically a private sale, you didnt offer any garentees or warrentys, hes trying it on,

old addage Buyer bewere springs to mind,

keep copies of all comunications, just in case though,

Guest sritony

Thats what I thought it was buyers beware its just not something I expected to keep getting threatened with.

I used that car 30 miles a day for work for 2 years never let me down, and worked fine and drove fine so to me it worked and for a 04 car almost top of range apart from Elite and VXr for 2300 quid I thought he would be happy, could of got 2500 for a garage but wanted to sell it to someone who would enjoy and use it am regretting that now

Guest SWANAGE DAVE

had same problem with a punto i sold when they got it home 200 miles it seemed to have loads of problems it didnt have when they took it, the said they wanted money back and i said i would see them in court as it was sold as seen, a few letters later it has all gone away and so have they... your buyer doesnt have a leg to stand on so tell him to go forth and multiply.

Dont loose any sleep over it..its his fault not yours

Unless you are a dealer he has no legal recourse about the condition of the car. If you're just Joe Public how would you know that there wasn't a potentially lethal fault with a car? It's down to the buyer to either check the car or have a professional check it.

If you were doing it profesionally then the game changes and you have a duty of care.

Iain

Guest sritony

thanks, my next e-mail might not be so understanding anyways but at least you have confirmed what I thought :) just makes life that little bit more difficult when you get people like this they want something for nothing I guess!

how do you know if coil springs have gone anyways?

It sounds stupid but after hes slagging off something that you looked after is even more annoying

Guest pcarr

I wouldn't worry, it sounds to me like a lot of hot air and he is trying it on to get a few quid back, check out his ebay credentials, pund to a penny he has negative feedback for being an arsey t**t.

Any news on the karting, I can get another couple of lads to make up numbers

Paul

:D You are in the right, got taken to small claims court 2 years ago over private sale of car, judge said no case to answer as sold as seen, he took the chance when he had you drop it off in the yard, its Tuff F****** *bleep*, for him :D

Many moons ago i sold an Austin princess 2.2, next day the bloke phoned up saying that the head gasket had gone. I checked with a lawyer who said that it's his problem now and he has no come back :)

I mirror what everyone else has said, he should have inspected it or had it professionally checked. The worst he can do is leave negative feedback but you can leave a reply to that.

I think that leaving it in a car park sounds a bit suspect, not sure I would have done that though.

Guest Alasdair

Part of a reply I had from a solictor friend regarding a similar situation:

There is the legal standing of caveat emptor (buyer beware) which basically means the onus is on the buyer to make sure they are happy with the goods before they enter into an agreement to purchase.

Alasdair

Guest peter2b2002

I was on the other end when I got my range rover off ebay, the guy said it was ok as far as rusty bits, I used the car till the mot ran out (3 months) took it for a pre mot check, rusty floor, sills, wheel arches rear x member if fact a real dog, sent the chap an email with pictures he said I was trying to rip him off as the car was in good condition with no rust when he sold it to me , saying it was my fault for storing the car out side!!! end result I'm having to do all the repairs myself with no help from the seller.

buyer beware

peter2b

Guest manglemender

Even though you're legally in the clear, you really can do without all the hassle and emotional grief that an affair like this can bring. I think you'd have known if the brakes and springs were gone!

Buyina a car "As Seen" (even if he CHOSE not to see) and then complaining about it is like buying a house with a public footpath next to it and then complaining that people walk past your house.

Nick

Guest sritony

Had another e-mail today saying that I deliberity sold him a lemon of a car that is utterly dangerous to drive with the coil springs broken and that he wonders how I can sleep at night!!

not going to bother e-mailing him back cuz getting bit sick of his attitude, but if I ever sell a car again making sure they come see it first!! Lesson learnt!