Battery Warning Light

Tazzzzman1

Hi,

I might be worrying over nothing here, but thought I'd ask the question....

Last night whilst driving home from the area meet, I noticed for the 1st time that the battery warning light was partially illuminated (by this I mean that the bulb filament was glowing very dim, but not fully light, really difficult to see). It looks as though I may be getting some small transient voltage to the warning light?

The alternator is almost new, only done 1300 miles. Is this a problem waiting to happen or do I just ignore it? :unknw:

Any advice on this is welcome!

Best thing to do is get in checked, any main tyre dealer will do this for free if you cant, with no obb to buy a new one from them. on the plus side i had a glowing light on my Mondao and it stayed like that for 2 years. :rolleyes:

Guest bettinson2005

terry dont want to make you look thick :rofl: have you checked belt? my light was on a bit? so i just tightened belt a bit more and it went out :good: how did last night go many turn up?

terry dont want to make you look thick :rofl: have you checked belt? my light was on a bit? so i just tightened belt a bit more and it went out :good: how did last night go many turn up?

Hi Carl,

Ha Ha very funny...Guess looks ain't everything....Just as well eh! :crazy:

Yes good decent turnout 7 cars turned up. Lovely drive out as weather was spot on. Nearly got wiped out by an Owl on the way back though, missed my head by inch's. Very nearly had a brown adrenaline rush.... :rofl:

By the way I will check the belt as I only replaced it 2 weeks back. Doesn't seem slack or to be slipping, however with Head lights on it's under more load, so worth investigating further.

Light being on only tells you there is a voltage drop across it, not which way the drop goes.

So it could be low volts coming from the alternator. Like a slack belt lighting the lamp a bit when it slips under load. Dead alternator will tend to give bright steady light independent of revs. Blown diodes can give flickering light with revs as can faulty brushes or slip rings.

You can have too high a voltage from the alternator if the regulator goes fut and this tends to give a glimmer from the light often getting brighter with more revs.

Lift the bonnet and check belt tension first. Then get the voltmeter out and test across the battery terminals while revving the engine to about 3000 rpm. Should be around 13.6 - 14.4 ish with good battery, regardless of load (within reason).

Nigel

I had probs with some of my warning lights at one point main problem i found was the left hand stalk on the steering was the fault dissconnected it and all was well replaced been fine ever sense this could just have been a thing to my car thou as the loom is a bit s**t.

I,ve also increased the diameter of my bat cables etc this also helped matters..

Dan