Running On 2 Cylinders

Guest Barryking

Guest Barryking

Hi i have a problem with my 2b with 2.o pinto last time i drove it things were fine went to start it a week or so later and it wouldn't start i checked for a spark which seemed ok reset the points, checked to make sure fuel was getting to the carbs (webber twin 40s) plenty of fuel. eventuallly the car fired up but badly.one of the leads looked damaged so I've changed the plugs and leads but still ran badly its only firing on pots 3 & 4 so i assume it must be the carb for pot 1 & 2 i don't know a thing about these carbs. i undid the butterfly screw on the top and unscrewed the 4 jets they all looked clean and clear not sure what else to do any help would be great this is all a big learning curve.

Thanks Barry

Is the fuel getting through to that carb if not check to see if there is a filter fitted in the inlet banjo, as it could be full of scap.

Also seeing as it has been left for a while the float valve could be stuck in the shut off position thus allowing no fuel through.

A tap on the top may loosen it if you are lucky.

Mike

Guest Barryking

Thanks Mike i can't believe it tapped the top of the carb with a hammer (gently) and thought it will never run properley, well started it up and all is well fired up on all 4 cylinders took the car for a spin and it was fine, thanks Mike.

Pleased you got it sorted Baz, it may well be worth looking into getting a new float shut off valve if you have any more trouble with it , i have changed many in the past as part of a carb service on many sports cars as the needles do wear and can cause problems.

I would advise you keep an eye on that carb as if the needle face is marked it may not shut off fully and could cause flooding.

Also not to forget the float may well have got stuck.

Mike