Am I Wasting My Time With An S7

Guest Kim

Somtime since I have been here due to work and surviving the down turn.

Car has now sat untouched for 2 years in garage and during that time the regulation changes SVA etc mean am I wasting my time. I now have the time and resources plus all the parts required to push forward but will I find I can never get this pass the new test. Your advice will be much appreciated. Kim

Guest robinj66

I put an S7 through the SVA last October. Not an easy ride - strengthening needed on the steering column mounts and the pedal box mounts. You will also have to ensure the seatbelt monts are the correct height.

the only other potential problem is that there have been some reported comments about the structural integrity of the monocoque construction - that is what I would say will be your biggest worry.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest loopyonion
I put an S7 through the SVA last October. Not an easy ride - strengthening needed on the steering column mounts and the pedal box mounts. You will also have to ensure the seatbelt monts are the correct height.

the only other potential problem is that there have been some reported comments about the structural integrity of the monocoque construction - that is what I would say will be your biggest worry.

Just done a search on this topic, as i am having a similar problem.. where to mount the rear seatbelt mountings on an S7. IVA manual says box section, and reinforced plates with correct grade of bolts. But i didn't see any details on hight requirements for the rear mounting points.

Usually when you fit a three point harness, the rear anchor point has to be between horizontal and 45 degrees, and directly behind the seat. This would put the rear fixing on the rear panel, which is not box section (neither can it be reinforced with a spreader plate), or at 45 degrees, would put the fixing above the fuel tank.

The steering i have sorted out, and the pedal box as well. Seat mounts have to have a 10x10cm 4mm thick spreader plates on each seat fixing, (under the car for the rear fixings, and inside the car for the fronts), according to IVA manual.

I have now been given a fail sheet from its SVA in 2006, and this was one of the points it was picked up on ( amongst many !), wonder if a retest is still available? :)

So, the main problem for now is the seatbelt mountings.. ANy S7 owners got suggestions.?

Guest robinj66

My S7 came to me with just a roll over "hoop". I used some seamless Cold Drawn Steel tube to make up rear stays and a cross member which were then welded on. I reinforced uner the original "hoop" mounts and used 4 or 5mm angle along the rear to bolt the stays to.

I obtained threaded tube from a LSIS manufacturer and welded those to the side of the crossbar and then welded fillets (so that the tubes were supported all the way around). This passed two examiners and, although the third was somewhat dubious that they would comply, they did eventually pass SVA. If I were doind it again, I would drill through the crossbar tube and weld the threaded tubes through them to avoid any argument.

A pic of my lash-up is attached.

There was also talk that the belts could be mounted to the rear of the car (as per the manual) providng it was sufficiently strengthened (as mine is anyway). the belts can then be looped over (or possibly around) the rollover bar which becomes the "effective point" for the test.

Another alternative is to use hugh back seats with holes for the harnesses to pass through - this may be abetter option now that you need head reatraints.

I think the IVA seatbelt heights etc are the same as for the SVA.

I think that there is a 6 month time limit for an SVA retest so you are well past that. You will have to go for the full (IVA) test now :(

Guest loopyonion

Cheers, some food for thought fellas, looks like more work requred :)

Mounting on the roll bar seems to be the way forward, does anyone know the correct hight for the fixings? is it max 450mm high?

I know mines an Exmo and never had to pass these tests when built and registered back in early 90's but my belts attach to the roll bar support bolts at the back of the car. I think these would stiffen up well if some heavy guage angle was run along the back edge and down the sides with fillets in the corners. you could possibly pick up the rear subframe mounting points too.

not sure if its heigh enough though.

RH put a seatbelt mount bar into the main hoop of the rollbar, not between the backstays, after SVA as previously the upper mounts were too low and not strong enough. The rules for upper mount height have remained the same from SVA to IVA and are as in the pic below. A reference block is placed on the seat, the belt held horizontaly forwards and the measurement taken from the top front corner of the block to the belt. It must be 450mm or greater. (In my car the lower surface of the bar is 630mm above the floor line. Ignore this measurement! Only applies to my car.)

Nigel

post-21-1252260557_thumb.jpg

Guest Stuartl
Somtime since I have been here due to work and surviving the down turn.

Car has now sat untouched for 2 years in garage and during that time the regulation changes SVA etc mean am I wasting my time. I now have the time and resources plus all the parts required to push forward but will I find I can never get this pass the new test. Your advice will be much appreciated. Kim

I might be selling my S7, (See separate post, 'What is my S7 worth...', currently back as a rolling shell BUT it has been registered correctly as a robin hood and on the road bearing the old sierra plates so will NOT need an IVA, just an SVA. You could use my chassis and your parts?!

If you are interested PM me.

Cheers,

Stuart

The S7 like my S3a has some SVA/IVA issues but i got my S3a through SVA last year first time, its not a great issue but you need to be totaly aware of the issues.

Keep reading the IVA manual and post things that concern you.

Get a look at as many Monocoque cars that have passed recently.

The IVA is similar to SVA and needs all sharp edges covered, seat belt mounts, as Longboarder said, seat belt effective height.

Dinners ready be back soon with some more of my experiences

Guest loopyonion
The S7 like my S3a has some SVA/IVA issues but i got my S3a through SVA last year first time, its not a great issue but you need to be totaly aware of the issues.

Keep reading the IVA manual and post things that concern you.

Get a look at as many Monocoque cars that have passed recently.

The IVA is similar to SVA and needs all sharp edges covered, seat belt mounts, as Longboarder said, seat belt effective height.

Dinners ready be back soon with some more of my experiences

cheers fellas, currently working on the rear subframe bracing, and re- enforcing. Pedal box now done. Will post piccies as I take them for mr iva examiner. The seats need the same treatment. Also, just the clips to the fuel and electrics to sort as it needs more of them.

Their are some more issues as the fuel tank decided to shed it's fuel out through a dodgy weld.. So I have that to tig weld up when saftey permits.

Fun and games ;)