Picking 2b On Sat- Help!

Guest oddsocks

Guest oddsocks

Well i've done it, bought a 2b and picking it up on sat from robinhood dealer.

I've gone mad and bought a new zetec engine and bike carbs to with it.

Was gonna do the bike engine route but seemed more hassle.

Is there anything i need to know before i hand over the cash?

Just a bit worried i've bitten off more than i can chew-never done anything like this before.

What tools do i need,got basic tools. What about rivitor, which make would you go for? what size rivits do i need?

Do i need to buy a wielder? Never done that before either!

What other tools do i need?

Any info apprecited

Jamie

What gearbox fits on the zetec-they are giving me a donor one for £150 quid-does that sound abit steep,its not recon.

Edited by yanto

Well done,

Never built one as I got mine completed (well legal on the road) now just playing with improvements.

What tools you NEED is not the same as what tools will make the build easier, quicker. I love tools and can't wait for an excuse to buy something new, as for a welder I don't think you need one but it may change the way you look at some jobs and less dependent on other people. As for rivitor, I love the air powered one I got for work and it will run off a £50-00 compressor, but a hand one will do all the jobs, just harder work.

Good look and all the best.

Steve

Guest oddsocks

Well done,

Never built one as I got mine completed (well legal on the road) now just playing with improvements.

What tools you NEED is not the same as what tools will make the build easier, quicker. I love tools and can't wait for an excuse to buy something new, as for a welder I don't think you need one but it may change the way you look at some jobs and less dependent on other people. As for rivitor, I love the air powered one I got for work and it will run off a £50-00 compressor, but a hand one will do all the jobs, just harder work.

Good look and all the best.

Steve

[/quote

cheers steve ,just looking at air powered rivitor. Its good to know you can run them on cheap compressor-think i will be gettin one of them. Be alot quicker than a hand one too.

Hi,

i built my 2b and as Steve said there are some tools that are good to have to make things easier. To be honest i didn't use a rivet gun much for my build. For things like the side panels i bonded them on and then drilled and tapped either screws or bolts. Rivets may be unlikely to come undone but i thought i may want to remove a panel if it gets damaged.

I love my welder and used it a lot for adding brackets and modifying things but as said could have probably got away without it. Bought mine second hand £40 for a 145amp mig which welded most things i wanted including a stainless steel fuel tank. One thing i think would be cool is an air ratchet as ive spent may hours doing nuts up slowly in tight spaces, 3 clicks at a time.

An engine hoist is also needed but if you have a strong garage roof/scaffolding you could use a block and tackle or hire one for the day.

Good luck. HTH

Guest mower man

Hi not wishing to put any one down or p--- on any bodies parade ,building a car which may be capable of reasonably quick performance is not to be taken lightly! If you are moderately confident ,have above average understanding of vehicle mechanics ,assembly , reconditiong ,repair it is still a very steep learning curve!,the selection of tools and equipment is a minefield an expensive one , full of traps for the unwary which can lead unnecessary expense, i.e. what good is a welder if you don't know how to use it?.A lot of the other stuff can and should be hired or borrowed, research carefully and if in any doubt stop and research some more! .Again as said previously, join the club , sharpen your i.t. skills and bewilling to learn.This comes from someone who ,not wishing to be condescending , has built numerous kit,race ,rally and fast road cars in the past and still is learning and asking questions,take your time and as the man said BE CAREFULL OUT THERE! .regards mowerman

Guest Ian Marr

Welcome! :hi:

Mowerman is right it is a steep learning curve if you have not done it before ... but you do not start learning until you start ... so well done for starting ;) ... Here's hoping you get yours on the road sooner than me!

As Steve said, tools are great and you will never have enough and always want something else/new/different - tool shopping is what stops me building! :fool:

My tool list would include;

Radio/cd player

Bench (to put radio on)

Vice (hold ariel and get better reception)

First-aid box would be useful (I speak from experience!)

- anything else ... buy it when you need it (you can replace 'need' for 'want' but it is more expensive)

I'm sure you will find loads of help and advice here on the website or by coming along to events/club meetings.

Bet Saturday evening will see you in the garage like a kid in a sweet shop!

Re the welder - go for it - they are cheap enough to risk it and practice makes perfect - local adult education centre or tech college will do basic welding courses - usually about 8-10 weeks (£40 ish) - may help you if they focus on mig welding.

Happy building! :crazy:

Guest smartfazer
I've gone mad and bought a new zetec engine and bike carbs to with it.

What gearbox fits on the zetec-they are giving me a donor one for £150 quid-does that sound abit steep,its not recon.

Jamie,

Well done and good luck. I too have a 2B and as the others have said "the learning curve is steep" and the questions you have are ones that most of us have or are working through.

One of the things that stuck out in your post, is that you say you're getting a new Zetec with bike carbs. I understand that this setup has a very good chance of failing the emissions test, which is why GBS recommend throttle bodies and ECU with a new engine.

The £150 you spend with GBS should include gearbox (Type 9), diff and rear axle/subframe etc,. Have a chat with them if it's not too late.

Have fun and we look forward to the question ;)

Steve.

PS: Don't think any question is too stupid.......I might just be having the same problem/thought :D

PPS: Just finished riveting the floorpan after my long-handled riveter broke and had to finish about 75 stainless rivets with one of the small hand ones :o

Guest oddsocks

Thanks for all you help boys. Sorry to say but i didnt get the 2b after weren't quite happy with it so i went a bit mad and blew my budget and got a zero plus!

Now i got to get a donor car for all the bits and pieces i need-then let the fun begin!

J

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Deano 777

My advise would be, take your time with planing and building the kit. you will have good days and you will also have VERY bad days along the way. But dont give up.

take pic of the build at differant stages. good luck. Dean.

Thanks for all you help boys. Sorry to say but i didnt get the 2b after weren't quite happy with it so i went a bit mad and blew my budget and got a zero plus!

Now i got to get a donor car for all the bits and pieces i need-then let the fun begin!

J

Read the IVA manual!

Is there a build DVD with the Zero? If so, sit down and watch it through, then again, and again. If not, get hold of a 2b one as a lot will be similar I would have thought.

Remember to think IVA!

Find out if there ar any other Hoodies in your area that want to pop over for tea and Biscuits. You will find that Tea and Cake will get you a long way with members but bear in mind not all Hoodies are properly house trained ;)

Are you taking pictures for the IVA?

Package up all the parts and store them securely otherwise you will find they look like a dogs dinner by the time you come to fit them.

Have another read of the IVA Manual!

Have a clear plan about what order you want to do things and try to think about how it might impact other parts of the build. No point assembleing the tunnel and then having to take it apart to put the wireing in.

Good luck and did I mention reading the IVA manual?

Guest oddsocks

Cheers for the advise knock on. Havent looked at IVA manual, What pages apply to us for kit cars?

Read the IVA manual!

Is there a build DVD with the Zero? If so, sit down and watch it through, then again, and again. If not, get hold of a 2b one as a lot will be similar I would have thought.

Remember to think IVA!

Find out if there ar any other Hoodies in your area that want to pop over for tea and Biscuits. You will find that Tea and Cake will get you a long way with members but bear in mind not all Hoodies are properly house trained ;)

Are you taking pictures for the IVA?

Package up all the parts and store them securely otherwise you will find they look like a dogs dinner by the time you come to fit them.

Have another read of the IVA Manual!

Have a clear plan about what order you want to do things and try to think about how it might impact other parts of the build. No point assembleing the tunnel and then having to take it apart to put the wireing in.

Good luck and did I mention reading the IVA manual?

Here you go.

You only need to worry about pages 1 to 261 :D

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mev/IVA-Inspection...senger-Cars.pdf

Seriously, there are a lot of things that are common sense and some that need to be done for "due dilligence".

I am a pretty inexperienced mechanic at the best of times but there are a lot of people on here that can give you better advice than I. However, my car did pass 1st time due to ensuring the basics were done well.

1. Ensure all bolts are correct quality / strength. 8.8 is a defacto. Use nylocks and leave at least 2 threads.

2. Neatness. All wires and pipes to be clipped with appropiate P clips etc. at correct spacing.

3. Radiused edges outside, inside and underneath.

4. Quality. Sharp edges, rusty bolts, slapdash construction makes them get the microscope out. If it looks like it's been built correctly, it makes them much happier.

5. Photo's. You will have to do things that cannot be seen once the car is built such as pinning pipes in the tunnel or reinforcing seat belt mounts so take photo's all the time. You can never have too many.

If it lines up, is solid, doesn't vibrate, is correctly assembled and has clearence, it will cover most requirements but do read the manual. It will save you a lot of rework. If you don't believe me, look at the amount of kits for sale that are 99% finished or "just require a good weekend to complete". You can bet that they have found out they need to go back to scratch to build it IVA compliant.