Painting The Chassis

Guest oddsocks

Guest gregoryskelton

I'm sure there are a number of school of thought, but what I will be doing is using a RAL170 Vinyl Paint as recommended by our Steel Fabricator, only comes in 1 finish unfirtunately, which is Matt Black, but its got enough flex in it not to crack when the chassis flexes over a bump, and its hard wearing enough that it'll take a bit of rubbing to come away, plus when it does mark up water can't get under it like its possible for it to do with powdercoat.

Guest Sharky

Hi Yanto

I have used some paint called POR-15 on my exposed metal - which is good stuff and you don't really need to prime as it can go directly onto rusted metal surfaces - as long as you get the loose bits off and it's properly de-greased.

It is apparently better than Hammerite as it doesn't set so hard and isn't prone to chip off and the setting process is different - something about how the water is expelled or not?!.

I have seen other people on here who have used hammerite and also seen POR-15 mentioned as the way ahead and both are probably recommended for different reasons I suppose. But if I were painting my chassis, then I'd use POR-15.

I think that there is a de-greaser and primer kit if you think you will need it.

If you do use POR-15, then follow the instructions - especially the bit about cleaning the rim of the can and the lid before closing it for storage ...... otherwise it bonds solid and the lid won't come off again. Get yourself a stack of cheap brushes too - I haven't managed to stop any of my brushes going rock hard after using this stuff!

For de-greasing on loads of other bits and pieces though, I have used Innotec 'Repaplast' and I highly recommend it.

Holden Vintage and Classic sell POR-15 and funnily enough, Innotec sell the Innotec stuff (Google 'em and when you ring up, tell Emma that you are a kit car builder and she'll sort you out). Innotec 'aluminium finish paint' and also the 'chassis black' is pretty good for general tarting up of components as well.

Hope that helps?

Sharky