Very Firm Pedal

Guest whiz

Hi ive got a very hard pedal when the brakes are applied the car doesnt stop as quick as it could in my opinion the pads & discs look fine the discs are drilled. Any suggestions would be grateful. Andy

Is this a recent fault, or have you just got the car?

F8irst check is if a brakeservo is actually fitted, then check that there is a vacuum pipe from the inlat manifold connected. Does the engine still idle OK? If so, there is probably no leak in the pipe.

More info will help with a diagnosis.....

Bob

Guest chris brown

As Bob says it must be a servo problem. Unless of cause you have just got the car and it hasn’t got a servo, then it’s a case of strengthening up your leg mussels. :p :lol:

Start with the basics.

These cars are all built & designed in different ways....the builder could have fitted anything he wanted.

What car model, what engine, what carb(s) what brake cylinder, what brake pedal do you have?

A standard Pinto engine in any model (I think) should have a Sierra master cylinder fitted to a Sierra pedal box which can be retro fitted with a standard Servo. Some engines have the carb on the drivers side which makes it more difficult.

A picture or two will help enormously....

Bob

Guest chris brown

Not too sure a standard Sierra servo would fit on the monocock chassis as there is not as much room as in the 2B. I would use the car as it is for a while as is. People without servos say they get a much better feel for the braking and don’t have the problem of locking up the fronts, also as the car is lighter than the brakes were designed for so this makes sense.

Guest mower man

Hi my S7 mono car has std seirra servo fitted ,no clearance probs I prefer the feel to the hard pedal.What disc /pad combo are you running? Competion /hard pads take some warming to reach full efficiency and in my opinion have no place on alight car even for spirited driving on the road,track days may be different? hope this helps mowerman

Guest woolly

i want one of those rocker covers :D

it wont cure your hard pedel but the master cylinder and the pipe work do look very close to the unprotected exhaust manifold, may be worth another look

woolly

Thanks for the advice the master cylinder is close to the manifold it did have a shield covering it. but it touched the manifold & melted the cable ties. i'm just waiting delivery of heat wrap for the manifold & heat shield for the bulkhead as the heat in the footwell is unbearable sometimes. Andy

Guest axle man again

I run a Series 3A with 2Lt pinto and no servo and yes the pedal is hard but I get good feed back. As for the heat in the foot well; I don't have a heater, so the hot air is a pleasure in the cooler months but can toast the toes a little in summer (if my memory serves me well!)

Guest Ian & Carole

I drove our 2B for the first year with the servo, had to remove it when I changed the engine.

Wouldn't go back to having one any more.

So much more feel with out one.

Just my opinion though.

hi

i like ian do not run a servo , it does take getting used to but it does give far better feel to the road , but the first time you use the brakes in anger your bum will twitch ! will it stop or wont it . it will cos you will hit the pedle harder .

as said not like a production car cos it ant , but it does do the job and you will addapt . thank you 7 of 9 .

graham