Trumpets Or Pancakes?

Guest Welsh_S7

Guest Welsh_S7

My S7 has been off the road for a few weeks now while I have been sorting a few jobs that needed doing. She's running quite nicely at the moment but want to make sure I'm getting the full potential out of her.

She's running on a 2ltr Pinto (205 block) on twin 40 dellartos. The carbs are breathing through a pair of K&N pancake filters. I've read the previous threads regarding carbs and nobody seems to be a fan of the pancake filters - are tumpets the way forward? And if so, what filter should I use? Some offer a gauze tip, a foam cover while some offer no protection over the top of the tumpet at all!! So confusing!!

Any ideas?!!

Guest woolly

pancakes should have lemon and sugar on them and have no place on a carb.

trumpets takes away the sharp edges reduce stand off - smooths out the air flow and with the extra inlet track length help with torque. all round good egg is a trumpet. and every cylinder should have one.

:D

Guest Welsh_S7
Something like these maybe

registry_mod-136-1218912599_thumb.jpg

Mike

I notice you don't have any sort of filter or cover over the trumpets in your photo mike - is this the typical way to do it or should the trumpets be covered by something to prevent stuff being sucked in to the jets?

Cheers

registry_mod-142-1184771003_thumb.jpg

I did have a pair of Piper Cross foam filters fitted but i found that they where far too restrictive and getting sucked in after i had tuned and balanced the carbs, plus screwing the mixture up, so now i am looking into something better. Something with a larger surface area, may even try a stainless mesh fitted to the trumpets to prevent the foam getting sucked in , but its still work in progress as i am waiting for the various types/sizes of mesh to arrive and to see if i can dome the mesh satisfactory enough to do as i intend.

There is a pic of the Piper Cross foam filter fitted in one of my garage pics.

Mike