Battery Negative Cable To Where?

peter_m7uk

Gents,

Just a quick one. In the attached pic, we have the big positive and negative battery cables from the donor Sierra. The terminals on the right go to the battery terminals and the earthing point, and the red cable terminal on the left goes to the starter motor, but where does the black terminal go to? It has a crimp with a 10mm hole in it, so my guess is the gearbox?? If so, which of the available bolts do people normally use for it? Anyone got a pic of this bit of wiring?

Cheers,

Pete :D

post-1247-1251204229_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Peter

It can go to any bell housing bolt it will reach.

Don't forget though you will need a second earth lead from engine / gearbox to the body.

At the moment your engine and gearbox are sat on 3 rubber insulating mounts, so nothing will work untill you fit your second earth lead.

HTHs

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. There will be the usual earth strap from the mounting on the underside of the Type9 box, so that's covered. Of all the labels I made on my wiring loom, that black cable was one I just hadn't marked for some reason!

On a related note, does the alternator go to earth through its casing and down into the block? I realised that I've painted all the mounting faces for the alternator brackets, so if that is the case, I'll be insulated from earth! Also, I have a cable for earthing the cylinder head, but not the block itself. Are the gearbox and head cables sufficient to earth the block, or is there supposed to be another cable somewhere?

Cheers,

Pete :good:

The engine block is usualy earthed via a large strap to the body as the starter motor needs this for its earth /Neg. Plus block mounted sensors need an earth too.

The Alternator does earth through its body.

Mike