Iva And Rear Fog Lights

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Afternoon all,

Following on from the post by jwts and the fog light issue with his rover stalks, I would like to ask the same question but using Sierra stalks and a Vicky Green loom.

Basically, I am trying to get the fog light working with both dipped beam and main beam. It currently works on dipped beam only. Is there an extra pin that becomes live as per the rover stalks, or do I have to look at getting two live feeds to the switch ? Currently there is nowhere for an extra live feed to fit, the switch has only four pins (Sierra fog light switch by the way).

Hope this makes sense, and as always any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

The head/dip switch is only an either/or switch so they must all have a common supply (to the head/dip switch) from the lights off/side/main switch so tap in there, then to fog switch & on to (relay if you need to change polarity) fog light/s. Longboarder is the man who knows all the pin numbers & hopefully will correct me if the above is porkys.

Guest Noddy006

Hi I had same problem at IVA and folks on here suggested 2 diodes fitted to the wires from each of the wires going from switch to lights. I got 2 diode from Maplins for less than £2 and fixed up easy. Seems to work fine. Ian H

Guest loopyonion
Hi I had same problem at IVA and folks on here suggested 2 diodes fitted to the wires from each of the wires going from switch to lights. I got 2 diode from Maplins for less than £2 and fixed up easy. Seems to work fine. Ian H

2 Amp blocking diodes that alarm installers use worked a treat..

Sorted :)

On the sierra stalks i have just wired mine in on the stalks that turn on the head lights on there is a -ve wire looping over to the dip/main that creates a circuit when switched on (but no circuit with just side lights on) i have put a live to the fog and branched into this -ve wire to a fog light switch then to the fog light so the switching is created by the -ve signal may put a relay in yet in case the sierra switch cant cope with the amps.

Ian

Guest kleighton

Thanks for your replies gents,

If I were to get a couple of diodes, how would I fit them ? There would still be two live feeds going to the switch wouldn't there ? Forgive my ignorance, I am not entirely sure how diodes work.

Thanks

Keith

Guest loopyonion
Thanks for your replies gents,

If I were to get a couple of diodes, how would I fit them ? There would still be two live feeds going to the switch wouldn't there ? Forgive my ignorance, I am not entirely sure how diodes work.

Thanks

Keith

Basically, the diodes create an OR gate, so the two 12v feeds can merge, without backfeeding each other..

IN SIGNAL________DIODES_____COMMON SWITCH___COMMON OUTPUT

12v from 1st feed ------>|------------ [switch]-----------feed to light or relay

12v from 2nd feed ------>|-------------[switch]

Whichever 12v feed is active, the diodes stop the 12v from backfeeding into the other OFF 12v supply, but whether one or both feeds are active, there will be an output to your relay or light.

Sorry if i am a little rusty on this :)

Guest kleighton

Ahh right, I've got it now. I put my two diodes inline on each live feed and put these two lives to the switch. The diodes will stop the live feed going to either the dipped or main beam whichever one is switched ?

Great, thanks for all of your help.

Cheers

Keith