Fireplace Hearths

Mat-Moo

We got anyone on here who knows much about fireplace hearths? I need one for my lounge but rather than buying one with a plinth I want just a flat one and build my own plinth underneath that the new wood laminate flooring can go to. What height would that have to be?

Hi,

you could do something cool like this

http://www.instructables.com/id/Concrete-C...---Solid-Surfa/

Then you can make it as big as you like and whatever shape you can make a mould. You can buy concrete dyes to get different colours as well. Would certainly be fireproof!

haven't tried it yet myself but will certainly be giving it a go in the future. Quite fancy an outdoor kitchen area made of polished concrete with built in bbq etc.

hth

Guest Alasdair
We got anyone on here who knows much about fireplace hearths? I need one for my lounge but rather than buying one with a plinth I want just a flat one and build my own plinth underneath that the new wood laminate flooring can go to. What height would that have to be?

We went looking for a fireplace a few years ago, just to burn logs, and came away with one of these Click.

Never regretted it.

We went looking for a fireplace a few years ago, just to burn logs, and came away with one of these Click.

Never regretted it.

Me too, heats the radiators and hot water too, though you can switch to gas on the fly for a quick shower etc.

Our gas bill.... £15 a quarter.

Also we used render mixed with black dye for the inside of the fireplace and finished off the outer edges with

polished angle iron that came from a bed frame slung out by a homeless hostel.

Locost or what?

Looks cracking too!

Andi