Seat Belt Mounting Access

Hi All,

I know that you should be able to unfasten your seat belt mountings without dismantling the car, but does anyone know if you have to be able to install the belts with the seats installed?

My outer mounts are hard to get to with the seats installed. You can get a spanner on to remove them, but installing the belt at the outboard lap position is impossible with the seats installed.

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks

Nige

Guest Dee Jay
Hi All,

I know that you should be able to unfasten your seat belt mountings without dismantling the car, but does anyone know if you have to be able to install the belts with the seats installed?

My outer mounts are hard to get to with the seats installed. You can get a spanner on to remove them, but installing the belt at the outboard lap position is impossible with the seats installed.

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks

Nige

Hi, My car went to SVA and the belt mountings were not visible and could not be fittted or removed with the seats fitted, I did take photos of the mountings, bolts and the bolt rating (stamped on top of bolt).

Nothing was questioned by examiner and all passed OK.

regards

DAVE

I doubt there is a requirement to install remove without dismantling. Look your every day car you'd have to remove trim carpet etc. I think the only requirement relates to nuts that are enclosed, like in the chassis. They need to be fixed to the chassis if they cannot be accessed.

Jez

Guest jusycom

I had this problem on my sva test , examiner said he could not see if nuts where captive (fixed to chassis) , he used one of those dentist mirror thingy's but still could not see, luckily for me i had taken a video of the car at different stages and zoomed in on all crucial fixings and welded parts , i got out my portable dvd player and showed him the part with the seat belt mounting and he was happy with the evidence, like wise take lots of clear photos whilst you can still see the parts that will be hidden once panels go on etc. justin.

Guest johnboy2b

I FAILED ON NO EVIDENCE FOR SEAT BELT MOUNTING. MY HARNESSES ARE FIXED TO THE BASE OF THE SEAT AND NOT THE CHASSIS , IS THIS GOING TO BE OK AS I HAVE SVA RETEST SOON . ALL I HAVE DONE IS TAKEN PHOTO'S.

Guest jusycom

Its best to have then fitted to main chassis for strengh reasons but depending on how much strengh you have on your seat mounting it might be ok , if its strong enough you might be lucky but most examiner's have seen these cars before and know where it should be fitted to . justin.

Guest johnboy2b

I hope he is happy with them fixed to the seat base as i bought the car part built and this is how it was. have taken photo's just hope he is happy with

that. i had 2 filled failure sheets and have been working my arse off getting through it all. only got till 24th october so need to retest soon. im bricking it.