Loom

Guest kj7

Hi,

My mate is trying to get his wiring sorted or use a ready made one as cheap as posible, what are the vicky green ones like and does anyone have one they don't need. ;)

Edited by kj7

Guest dremmel1

Hello

I personally didn't think the old Vicky Green loom was much good, but I'm sure some will disagree, in fact sold it on flea bay for £50 and bought a premier wiring loom about £120 I think. The premier wiring loom was excellent and just fitted straight in no messing, plus Alan at premier couldn't be a more helpful chap.

Alan

Guest max.esp

I had a vicky green supplied with my kit. I had the noose made about half way through installing it! Even though you can easily spot some wires from their ending and starting points, the biggest problem i found was very few (and i'm talking about 5) wires match the supplied diagram. In the end with some help from this forum and a good friend i got it done.

My advice - look at other options. it'll be less painful!

Hope this helps. Obviously i can only give my opinion.

Graham

I started to fit my Premier loom last night. No wiring diagram supplied with it but the written instructions look clear and easy to follow and there seems to be plenty of wire on all the breakouts so there shouldn't be any need for any extending to make it reach (unlike some other looms I've heard about).

Price was (as JJ says) around £120 - only downside was the delivery was a bit slow but when I chased Alan up he sent it out immediately.

OK the cost isn't the cheapest way of doing things but it should go in quickly and stand a chance of working, plus with everything new (as opposed to re-used Sierra), when I'm broken down at the side of the road in the rain, at least it probably won't be dodgy wiring that's the problem.

Guest oddsocks
Sorry can't agree the Vicki green loom is fine if you work through it carefully..

Have a look at the docs I put up to integrate with ECU etc.

Whats a vicky green loom? I got a new from GBS when i bought a zero and zetec-will that be ok? Do i need another loom?

Whats the docs you got tony, how do i get to them?

Whats a vicky green loom? I got a new from GBS when i bought a zero and zetec-will that be ok? Do i need another loom?

Whats the docs you got tony, how do i get to them?

Yep, I got the loom from GBS too and connected mine to a zetec.

Some of the wiring of the relays on mine were wrong.

Best bet is to try and lay out the loom prior to installation and label every connection, it will help immensely.

Check how your relays are to be wired and ensure you have it correct.

All the best

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

I personally didn't think the old Vicky Green loom was much good, but I'm sure some will disagree, in fact sold it on flea bay for £50 and bought a premier wiring loom about £120 I think. The premier wiring loom was excellent and just fitted straight in no messing, plus Alan at premier couldn't be a more helpful chap.

Alan

I did exactly the same! Vicky green loom diagram gave me a headache so went for Premier again as i had fitted one previously to my MK Indy. Alan is top notch and always helpful. :D

Guest neil stobbart

I used a Premier Wiring loom and couldn't fault it - plenty of spare, instructions were easy to understand, no issues with loom not matching instructions and Alan was more than helpful in supplying the other bits and pieces to connect to mini wiper motor, sierra column stalks etc. Wouldn't hesitate for future builds.

Neil

As I said before the Vicki Green loom is fine provided you work on it carefully.

The colour coding is non standard but thats no big deal, I thought the premier one also does not conform to tin top standards...

You need to think very carefully before attacking car electrics, its not like 240V mains with only three wires!

Earthing is another sticky subject too many and loops can result too few and bits don't work, there is a fine balance...

The docs I created can be found by doing a search on the forum

Guest mizurage135

I used CBS fuse box all relays already conected and it gives u wiring diagrame and all cable sizes, very easy to use, only thing i did was put 6 extra cables in in case i forgot something or needed another + supply

I am using the Sierra loom, it is easy really. Armed with Haynes wiring diagrams I am methodically stripping out the unwanted circuits (central locking, windows, mirrors etc). Then its just a case of sorting out the length of the loom at front and back. All nicely colour coded with the right plugs (mostly) in roughly the right places. Just ensure all the earth leads are grounded properly and there should be no problems! :D I'll post some piccies of the birds nest I currently have tonight to give everyone a laugh!

We stripped & modded the Sierra loom;following the Haynes manual;biggest problem we had was working with a duff coluum switch (not known about) which was good one minute & dead later or the fault moved. Best bit is it gives you all the right colours & sizes & plenty of length.