Flames Out Of Exhaust!

Guest max.esp

Guest max.esp

Hi all,

About a month ago i spoke to some of you regarding a new carb to replace my pierburg. I found a brand new 32/34 DMTL for a decent price and it is now fitted. Works very well but new a little help.

I took it for a quick spin to test it and i had meter long flames out the exhaust. What supprised me was the flames began when i slowed down at a junction no longer than 5 minutes in and continued burning until i turned the engine off. Now as an automotive engineer i know that shouldn't happen but as i'm not a mechanic i can only point to it running rich from the carb's switch. I haven't had time to play around with it but wanted a few pointers first if i'm in the right ballpark.

I small other thing. Can you adjust the clutch cable?

Thanks

Graham

Guest Deano 777

Hello graham, the flames are caused by over fueling or ignition timing, my 2b flames from exhaust but my engine is running 2x 45 webbers. a good tune up should sort things out for you.

the clutch cable should self adjust, if not push the clutch pedal down then side step your foot off and let the pedal come up fast this will reset the adjuster, hope this helps you. Dean

Guest max.esp

Oh it was at first. I think when the wind started blowing the flame towards me that it became mildy unamusing!!

If you know a way of keeping the flame but making it smaller, maybe a 6 inches, i would like that. Until then, i'm afraid it has to go. I might take it out for a spin again to get a video of it though. Something to remember before the car goes on sale...

Guest max.esp

Dean,

The old pierburg i had on never flamed up and all i've done since then is swap the carb over. I've no idea how to do the timing so for this basis and the prior carb not burning my arm, i'm going to 'guess' it's overfuelling. Back to the boredom of not having flames then!!