Brake Lines

Guest JWezley

Guest JWezley

Hi all,

In the not too distance future i'm going to be laying the brake lines in my SubK.

I want to know if its okay for the SVA to install them down the drive shaft tunnel, I mailed thequestion to the man in Swansea and here is his response

Dear Mr Wesley,

Thank you for your enquiry,

From the information provided, I can see no real reason why this would not

be acceptable provided it is securely attached, is not subject to any

permanent vibration sufficient to cause damage, or situated so that

excessive heat could / would affect the operation, condition or longevity

of the component.

However there may be other factors which have not been considered.

I would suggest that to be completely happy that the vehicle meets the

adequate requirements at the time of test, that you purchase an SVA

Inspection Manual.

These can be obtained at a cost of £30.00 from our National Line number.

(0870 60 60 440)

If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to

contact me further.

Regards

Peter Lunn

SVA Technical Officer (01792 454203)

can any one on here think of any other reason it may fail.

Guest SteveL

Hi

As far as I know, almost everyone has run their brake lines through the tunnel (along with their electrical cables, and their fuel lines). As long as they're secure and aren't all attached to the tunnel side together (I don't think they like wiring clipped in with the brake/fuel lines) you should be fine.

I hope so anyway, 'cause that's where I've attached mine!

Steve

PS. There was a little article in a Kit-Car magazine about blunders people have made, and along with the one about some who attached the rear exhaust mounting bracket to the rear suspension (it came off when it hit the first bump) there was mention of someone who cable tied their brake lines to their prop-shaft to secure them! God bless the SVA test!

As Steve says, there is no problem running the brake lines through the tunnel. As to clipping things together, there is no problems with running wiring with brake lines, or even fuel lines with brake lines; just don't mix fuel lines with wiring.

On my SVA I got pulled for having wiring and fuel lines together. I was going to leave fitting the electric fan until after the SVA, but on the night before the test I was getting worried about the engine overheating on the test so I decided to fit it then. I ran the wiring from the battery down the nearside of the car and ty-wrapped it to the chassis. Unfortunately, one (and only one!!) ty-wrap had found its way around the fuel line as well. Fail! The tester pointed it out, I cut the ty-wrap and fitted a new one that went under the fuel line and he was happy. The fuel line was in the same place; the wire was in the same place; but the piece of plastic had moved. :blink:

Daz

Guest keyper

Hi, I have also ran my fuel and brake lines in the tunnel but ran my cables on top of the tunnel in the groove between the chassis pipes running from front to rear.

Has anyone had any problems with the braking system in that you cannot get sufficient pressure built up in the system. I have drained all the air out (well, pretty certain). And has anyone fitted different flexi hoses to the front brakes other than the Sierra ?

A friend of mine recently had problems with a spongey brake pedal. He used several litres of brake fluid trying to bleed the air out. It turned out to be a faulty flexible hose. The hose was blooning out under pressue.

Richard

Guest Mr Pid

Do they actually check all the way thru the tunnel to make sure all is well in the securing department.

Can you get away with it being neat entering and exiting? and "ok" in between? :(

Stu :huh: