Ali Polishing

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Morning all,

I've got aluminium side and rear panels on my 2B, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best products to use to bring it up nice and shiny. Will Autosol give a good finish or will I need to buy some expensive Meguires polishing compounds ?

I've read on locostbuilders that when taking polish off you should use a soft cloth dipped in...............wait for it................flour ?????? Really ??? Is this a wind up ?

Anyone got any experience with ali polishing ?

Cheers

Keith

Hi keith, wat i did was get a cheap grinder, and convert it to take 4inch buffing wheels i also got 3 types of compond, from harsh to soft, and 3 diffrent buffing wheels, you take the guard of the grinder, and you can make anything shine for very little money, hope this helps, grizz, :D

Guest kleighton

Ha ha, thanks guys,

A mate's lent me his polisher. I was going to use this on my paintwork. There's a bit of orange peeling on it, so he gave me some compund to use aswell. Will this give me a good finish on the aluminium too ?

Cheers

Keith

would be interesting to try flour. I guess it would make a nice fine paste to polish the surface. You'd probably have to start with a granary type flour and go to a self raising or plain white flour to finish off ^_^

Ive heard it said to use toothpaste as well on glass to polish up old windscreens as its a mild abrasive, but i havent tried it yet.

It wouldn't be suitable for large areas but i use Brasso or Silvero (depends what i find in the cupboard first) to polish the windscreen surround and other bits of Ali on my 2b. Puts a really good shine on it.

as an aside flour is also explosive when in a certain air/flour ratio... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour_bomb

HTH

Guest kleighton

Thanks for all of your replies fella's,

Ha ha....I see what you mean agent_zed, like a finer grade flour to get a nicer finish ?? ;)

So if I use a compound and a polisher on my ali panels, would I still need to apply loads of water as I would when polishing the paintwork ?

Cheers

Keith