How Fast Is Your Hood

Guest agi

Hi All,

Just wondering but my S7 is running a standard 2ltr pinto with no modifications, 5 speed type 9 gearbox, LSD (cosworth) but i can only get about 85 mph top end is this normal.

I thought that with all that weight savings over the original donar car the car should have been as fast or faster. Certainly very fast on acceleration but just lacking top end :(

Can you help me to achive the magic 100mph or what do i need to do modification wise

Thanks

Agi

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RichardO

I've had over 90 in mine on the French autoroutes (not sure if the speedo is accurate though).

That's an S7, 2.0 Pinto, fast road cam, and twin 40's but at high(ish) speeds you are fighting the aerodynamics of a car styled on a brick.

Rich...

Guest peter2b2002

I,ve had over 115 indicated on my 2ltr efi 2b , I think you may have the wrong ratio dif in yours if you have poor top speed but v good acceleration, mind you as it's a 70mph limit over here stay as you are

peter2b

I think as Pete says, your diff ratio could be too low. 3.38 neeeds a lot of engive revs to get up there. What revs can you pull in top gear ?

My 8v DOHC tops the ton easily. with a 3.92 diff 5000 revs and still pulling !!

graham b

The Type 9 5 speed was designed as an overdrive 5th gear (0.82) so top speed will usually come in 4th.

Check what engine revs its pulling at 85. If its about 3500 in 5th you have a high ratio backend 3.3 or 3.6. Best ratio for topend is 3.92, but taht makes 1st gear redundant on a standard box.

A standard good condition 2.0 should make 105-110.

No cheap or easy solution, just make the compromise that suits you best.

Bob

Standard 2.0 which has never been above 70....

However, if I were to go above that I would expect to get over 90 with no problem until a sharp jab on my left arm indicated I might like to consider slowing down a bit ;)

Digidash set for about 3% above real speed on electronic dash as calibrated at SVA.

Guest scrabster

hi,the fastest ive been in mine was 100mph the week after sva and before dvla at mallory park with richard from gbs.i swear the bonnet was bulging from the rush of air through the nose cone. sva test on rollers showed at 70mph the true road speed was 65mph so i havent truely done a tonne yet :D

jess.