How Fast Is Your Hood

Guest agi

well, i got a 1.6 pinto and got 110mph out off it, on an airfield at home, and i was not going give any more, can not wait till next year when i will have my 2.0 duratec.

mind you i have a indy, weights around 540kg.

stuart

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100 with standard 2l pinto, 4 speed gear-box, running at 6000 rpm. So maybe if you did a retrial in 4th gear you could get more. Mine weighs 740 kg (heavy I beleive) and has a standard sized wndscreen. Yes, it can reach 70 quickly, then seems to hit an aerodynamic wall.

easy reached 90 with a standard 1.6 (E-max) pinto which i know every one says is crap/to avoid, but damn still fairly fast and had more to give - by the way this was during the running in stage :rolleyes: so no full throttle runs!

probably helped by the fact it came with a 3.92 diff as standard on estate models (as well as bigger 2ltr brakes). i love the sound the exhaust makes thru the rev range from a light burble to full metal scream - thankfully i'm totally deaf in that ear so won't bleed so much :D

Guest zoomzoom

On the way to sva (Iwas late-- ran out of petrol) with 2.0 pinto, dgas weber standard cam = 101 mph on digi dash with sat-nav

Now with bike carbs, mild cam and adjusted ignition = 110 on digi dash with sat-nav (had a little bit more to go... maybe next time :D )

All ON closed roads with a professional driver :huh: :huh:

WOW guys. :yahoo:

Thanks for all the replies will have to check my diff ratio's. Just one question. How do i do that ???

Looks like up to 100 is about the best i can get with out doing to much to the old girl. but yep she can still move from a standstill and the gears well running through them is just so much fun :D

Think the best is in a tunnel, Just love the sound

Time do decide what if anything i will do over the winter, but the suns out so i'm off to play

Bye

Ps... you cant miss me i'm the guiy with the smile :D hang on thats all of us LOL

our vaypor dash has recalls max values reached temp ,revs and speed 132mph on the main straight at mallory and managed 98mph around gerrards before it got a bit wobbly but fitting new suspension and polybushes at the mo to sort that out :D

Hi AGI,

jack up one wheel (a rear one works best!"

Mark a point on the tyre, reach underneath (carefully, use an axle stand) and mark the prop flange at the diff end.

Turn the wheel 2 (yes two) full revolutions while counting the turns made by the prop flange.

Diffs are usually either 3.62 or 3.92, so check if it turns just over 3 1/2 times or just under 4

HTH Bob

Guest salty_monk
My 2b 2ltr standard does 90mph on normal unleaded and 95 on super plus.

Rubbish... Super plus will not give you any more power unless you have a higher compression ratio & more advance in order to take advantage of it.

Some very modern ECU's can adjust for it to eek a bit more out of the petrol but a standard Pinto won't.... You probably had a tailwind or a hill with the Super Plus.

I could get an indicated 110mph out of mine with 3.92 rear diff Piper cam, 38 Dgas. That one had the big wings - Cycle wings do make a difference. I could get an indicated 115mph+ out of the one with cycle wings, similar engine spec 3.62 diff.

well i can't be doing too bad then, easily got to 90mph out of a 1.6 ltr pinto (E-max i think - the long stroke one). mind you that was only for a minute or two. Don't personally like going fast prefer to cruise at about 60-65ish on the motorway so i don't really worry about top speed, like twisty roads though!

Just spent the week in Plymouth so drove around 150miles each way on the motorway with no roof or doors. Pretty windy! but got away with the weather, nothing but sun all week B) brimmed the tank when i was down there so gonna work out the fuel economy the next time i fill her up.

Guest chrispine
well i can't be doing too bad then, easily got to 90mph out of a 1.6 ltr pinto (E-max i think - the long stroke one). mind you that was only for a minute or two. Don't personally like going fast prefer to cruise at about 60-65ish on the motorway so i don't really worry about top speed, like twisty roads though!

Just spent the week in Plymouth so drove around 150miles each way on the motorway with no roof or doors. Pretty windy! but got away with the weather, nothing but sun all week B) brimmed the tank when i was down there so gonna work out the fuel economy the next time i fill her up.

Hi, I went to Plymouth for long weekend, 11-14th, no roof, no doors, absolutely brilliant! 450 miles averaged 34 mpg, 2ltr superspec with Ford DOHC (107hp), standard carb, and 4.07 diff, Ford diff should have a tag (if you can read it) on it on rear cover bolt with ratio on it, mine will touch the ton on a good day but acceleration amazing, don't use 1st, too low. May look for about 3.9 diff this winter, injection would be nice........2.3 16v Granada engine would be better though.