Stafford Show

Guest Christine

Well this is causing some good healthy debating, keep it up.

On a lighter note, the raffle was drawn at 1pm on Sunday and the two lucky winners were Gaz0571, who went home with the cordless tool set and Bill Fordham who won the Autoglym valet set, sorry Smeghead, it wasn't your lucky day.

We do seem to be victims of our own success, and as has been said earlier one idea that has already been discussed is cordoning off an area round the gazebo to allow greater access to visitors and members old and new

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From one with a terrible memory ahh yes would it be possible for the club to design/fund/issue a name badge; I would love to be able to greet by name rather than ummm err are you with this club? I would certainly wear mine at meets both local & national & it has the advantage of once removed you're ?? joe soap again, not compolsory to wear just when you want to be I.D. (always had trouble when teaching, ID of students took me from Sept to Xmas)

Guest mower man
From one with a terrible memory ahh yes would it be possible for the club to design/fund/issue a name badge; I would love to be able to greet by name rather than ummm err are you with this club? I would certainly wear mine at meets both local & national & it has the advantage of once removed you're ?? joe soap again, not compolsory to wear just when you want to be I.D. (always had trouble when teaching, ID of students took me from Sept to Xmas)

Seconded mowerman :clapping:

Seconded mowerman :clapping:

I had a roll of computer sticky labels that I forgot to take. I spoke to some of the Mids lot about it.

I didnt think many peeps would be up for it, but I was willing to stick my rhocar name on, partly for a bit

of fun but mainly for people to know who this chap is who asks dumb questions.

Not everyones cup of tea, but I for one will do it at the next show.

Guest Bob's Babe

Although we haven't attended many shows this year,.....Tim's back.......working away from home....etc.... I remember shows from 3 eras....

Before Tim: no-one spoke to you even if you spoke to them, they sat there looking at you not even offering a membership form, not wanting to know who you were :cray:

During Tim and Pete's efforts:

We spoke to as many people as possible on a daily basis at every show. I spent so much time at shows talking to different people I have never met before I would never remember anyone's name. After 4 years I was still talikng to people I had met 4/5 times a year for 4 years and still couldn't remember their names. That doesn't mean I didn't care or wasn't interested, there are just so many people. Tim and I would look at eachother, whisper names if we had time, or just improvise. It is the best you can do on the day. I have smiled at so many people that have blanked me it is scary....but as the wife of a committee member you try to smile at everyone and say hello....just in case you have spoken before or because they remember you or to try to be welcoming. We sat by the club gazeebo so people knew where we would be, and hoped that they would smile and talk to us so we could talk to them.....my thoughts were always if they talk to me I can talk to them ....REMEMBER COMMITTEE PEOPLE CAN BE SHY TOO!!! :unknw:

:unknw:

Since Tim: The committee still do the things that Tim and I did.....but it is hard to speak to 300 people every day that you are at a show....especially if you are also catching up with people you only see three or four times a year. Are you to ignore the people you have got to know to try and make new people welcome?? :rolleyes:

At the end of the day there are 3/4 committee members, so if you can't speak to them why not speak to someone else sat there.....someone along the way has to be brave, say hello and start a conversation. If you can't do that with a stranger why should a committee member do it to a stranger?? They will if they get the chance, go up and look them in the eye, wait a few minutes for them to stop talking to the friend they see four times a year and then say hello. They will talk to yopu if you talk to them. They can't be expected to recognise new faces if Tim and I couldn't recognise ones we had been meeting for 4/5 years

rant over :wacko:

SUE :wub:

I muted an idea at Stonleigh for badges with avatars printed on. I wore mine ( not at Stafford, I am afraid) and got lots of hellos.

How about (centrally purchased), the ribbon be printed www.rhocar.org and the plastic envelope about 3 x 4 inches. people could print their own cards - avatar, name , area, pic of car etc.

I also find that "The story of the car" stuck to the sidescreen or about the vehicle brings readers --only need to add a picture of owner and maybe the reader will search out the owner with questions / praise.

Andi's sticker would work well too.

GrahamB

Hello,

As a new member this year it has been a steep learning curve, I have a terrible memory when it comes to names and faces (although I recognized the grey pointer) and because of that I'm never sure who I'm talking too. Around the gazebo was very busy on Saturday and I didn’t manage to speak to anybody in it but that’s down to me, I don't like interrupting over peoples conversations.

I did speak to a few guys (again I've forgotten names) one had just bought new bike carbs. who I found friendly and chatty. I think the club stand is the best there and as such it can be a bit daunting trying to speak to people.

The name badge Ideal i think would help along with maybe an A4 list with little mug shots (abit like motor sport grid line ups) pinned to the gazebo.

Just my thoughts

Jay

hey

i am newbie my build is only 2months in and i when to stafford show on my own i didnt know anyone at all but i made the effort said im a newbie and can i stay over the night they welcomed me in with open arms at that piont they didnt even know i was signing up for the membership i had a fantastic weekend made loads of new friends had offers of helpers if i ever get stuck in my build and even had a couple of rides in people cars . so i can not wait for the next show to have the same amount of fun and laugh with all the members and non aswell ive only been to stafford as a rho and the moment i started talk to people i felt like i was one of them.

so far it the best club that i have been in and iam well looking forward to many years in this club.

matt

Steve. you describe yourself as a "big fat bloke", if thats the case, it certainly wasn't you matey. I have to say i am not trying to witch hunt any particular person, i was just giving my experience as a newbie visitor. As a club i cannot fault it, i was allowed to park the german banana on the RHOCAR stand (tried to park it so it wasn't in the way) as far as iam aware nobody had an issue with this. I love the fact that you are able to look at everybodies cars without anybody making you feel like your going to nick it. I will one day attend our area meet but unfortunatly i work long hours. I will attend Stoneleigh again next year hopefully in a hood, if not in the banana.

If my car ain't finished, you never know it may appear on a trailer with a big tool box....... that will bring everybody together

maybe its time for the club to invest in a bigger gazebo.

hi, i joined the club at delting, and i got a great welcome by all the mebers there at delting, then i went to stonleigh, only for a day, and saw a few faces and had a quick chat, and i went, and then newark i saw teh old faces and met soem very nice new faces, and staford i saw some off teh old faces, and had a little chat, so for me it has been a good club.

but there are lots of members, i like to talk to every one about cars. :D

stuart

I joined this club several years ago after a show at Staffford.

I attended the show because I was thinking of building a kit car. I started to look around at the Hoods and got chatting to a bloke with a beard (Jim Stott) It was not hard. I simply opened my mouth and "Hello, I am thinking of building one of these" came out.

The venerable Mr Stott then gave me the best part of an hour of his time walking around the club stand showing us the differing models and explaining what you can and cant do and what could be done.... That I dont think you will find with any other club...

The point I am making is that if you dont simply talk to people you will not get anywhere. Most of us are civilised and wont punch you on the nose for breathing on the car.

And those that are complaining don't seem to have a problem talking on here, so why is it a problem in the middle of a field

Sorry folks... Reading this got my back up. Its one of the best clubs I have been a member of.

3 cheers for the comittee. You do a great job

if i put my name on my shirt you all have to promis not to hit me :D keep up the good work time and effort you do behind closed doors .

hurry up with the car marrco an get rid of you hair dresser one hahahahaha

And my thoughts.

My first show was at Stoneleigh. I was looking for a seven type kit on a limited budget so the 2b filled the need. I approached the owners club and received a very chilly reception, un-phased I went ahead and ordered one. Previously I had built a Banham Superbug which I needed to sell to raise funds for the 2B. I went to Donnington the following year in the Banham and stopped by the RHOCR area. Before I could introduce myself I was approached by a person (who I now can identify but wont) and was firmly told to move forward with slow jerky motion.

I carried on with the build and finished it the following year not knowing about the forum and all the help there is available here.

My first show with the finished car was Stafford, I was very apprehensive about attending but I was so proud to have completed my project I was determined to share it.

As I drove into the showground I had no idea where to go but I met Tim who was walking to the sheds that owners could park their cars in (it was March and the ice was just melting) I had never met Tim or Sue before but the greeting I got was so warm and friendly I immediately felt part of a new family.

I was only going to attend on the Saturday but because of the welcome I went back on the Sunday too. I spent both days talking to people who were either building or had built, to the point where I nearly did not eat the lunch my wife had provided. Since then I have seen quite a number of the people I spoke to on that weekend with their completed cars on the stand and that gives me a real “feel good” feeling.

I’m not going to judge who does what well or not so well, I believe that the people who do become involved, do it because they want to and they want to pass on the enjoyment they have gained. I have “off” days and “busy” days and if someone approaches me on an “off” or “busy” day they may get an answer I’m not too proud of. Just ask Marilyn.

I just want to thank the committee past and present for making the club what it is and if they want support/help I for one will be there. I don’t have the time to be on the committee but I really appreciate the ones who can make the time, using it in a way I can enjoy.

And another thought; RHOCAR have won the trophy for the most support at Newark for the last umpteen years. It took a production car club making a special effort to take our trophy for 1 year. Enough said.

I've been in this club now for over 11 years, and it goes from strength to strength. It's the biggest and most friendliest kitcarclub, but if you're a newbie, you need to make some sort of effort.

As Snoopy said, just ask a question and anyone will do their best to give you the benefit of their experience, explaining the ups and downs of owning a Robin Hood.

Stand there just looking, and apart from a smile, you may get nothing, you could be a Westfield Owner (Sorry guys!) you do need to join in, and asking mechanical type questions is always a good starting point.

The Comittee do a brilliant job, each and every one of them, also remember that the club officials aren't paid at all, in fact all the humping and carrying etc, attending the shows (They may have other places that they might need to be at the same time) is done for the benefit of the club and it's members.

I don't go to as many shows as I used to, as my work dictates what weekends I can have off, but when I do, I chat with A.) Old friends. B.) Anyone who askes me something, whoever they are. Now-a-days I don't tend to wander about (just in case I can't get back!)

You will always get small groups of friends sitting together behind their cars, usually at least one of the cars has the bonnet up, this is like in the "old days" ie, leaving the front door of your house open, it's an open invitation for ANYONE to stop and talk *Robin Hoods*

(The old bloke with a beard)

if i put my name on my shirt you all have to promis not to hit me :D keep up the good work time and effort you do behind closed doors .

hurry up with the car marrco an get rid of you hair dresser one hahahahaha

its not marrrco its maco lmao and im working as hard as i can every spare moment i have im in the garage doing bits so give me time :D