Fiiting Gaz Shock To Rear

keith kelly

not quite sure what happened here i was going to post something and then desided not to. but hey guess i did. how is everyone. I have assessed what is required to change my shocks over and have established i do not have a big enough drill bit or confidance (Not sure which) to do it so going to get some more kit and have a go again tomorrow.

if anyone is board tomorrow and in need of something to do feel free to pop round and laugh at me.

regards

keith

Guest Rbrown74

Hi guys. Just bought a Robin 2B+ this evening and already looking to upgrade!

The previous owner had fitted Gaz shocks to the front and recommends them for the back. I have spoken to Dampertech and have worked out that I need to fix a U bracket to the area where the bottom of the shock attaches. Also I need to lower the top mounting as well. :huh: I aint that mechanically minded - hence buying a fully built car!

Any one care to talk me through how best to go about this? Any pitfalls to avoid or tips to get it right first time?

Many thanks in advance

Rick

I'm just changing over the rear Dampers on mine but am cheating a little.

I have a pair of 12" Gaz with 100lb springs on. I'm planning on extending the roll cage insert down to the correct length but just want to confirm that there will be enough movement on the dampers? Also, 100lb springs should be enough on the rear I would have thought?

Anyone else running shortened dampers on the rear?

Hi guys. Just bought a Robin 2B+ this evening and already looking to upgrade!

The previous owner had fitted Gaz shocks to the front and recommends them for the back. I have spoken to Dampertech and have worked out that I need to fix a U bracket to the area where the bottom of the shock attaches. Also I need to lower the top mounting as well. :huh: I aint that mechanically minded - hence buying a fully built car!

Any one care to talk me through how best to go about this? Any pitfalls to avoid or tips to get it right first time?

Many thanks in advance

Rick

Hi Rick

If you haven't got a U attachment at the bottom of the dampers then will need one.

Why are you dropping the top mounting? If you are gringing out, then might it not be easier to buy a longer damper? Work out the distance between the mountings that you need and give Dave a bell back. If you have a sliding pillar that goes into the roll bar, remember that dropping it an inch will raise the vehicle significantly more ( is it about 4:1 from memory? )

Dave really is a mine of info and can recommend much better than a hacker like me :D

Hi All,

Dave at Dampertech recommended to me that I fit a retaining strap. I made mine out of an old cam belt.

This is to prevent the shock from over-extending when it gets to it's full limit of travel and taking the full weight of the trailing arm.

Really important, being as we're all a load of crazies taking off at every hump-back bridge eh? :D :D :D

I have 13" x 9" gaz shockers all round, 300lb springs on the rear and 325/350lb on front - can't remember which.

The car was built around this size shocker, with the zimmers it would bottom out as often as you liked, since fitting the gaz shocks I run it pretty firm on the rear and if it does bottom out then its a very rough road and I'm probably caning it.

Doa search for gaz shocks and my name for a thread on how I fitted them.

Guest Rbrown74

Dave has recommended that I drop the top mounting. :unknw:

Firstly I need to measure what the current shock length is under load (I believe the ones he has are shorter?). He said he'd work out from the current length what I need to do.

Is there a shock that will be a straight swop for the Zimmer? :unsure: