Bike Carbs

Guest DROID

Hi, finally got round to fitting the GXSR 600 carbs which I've had sitting around for a while now. The question I've got is forgiving are bikle carbs from an angle point of view? The manifold I'm using is a home made item and really doesn't give any lift to the carbs. Albeit, with 3x bolts holding the manifold in place and the carbs loosely held in place she started and ticked over, roughly I admit bit we had a few air leaks.

The reason I'm asking is I need to modify the manifold for the servo pick-up and I will need to get a engineering company to do this. Should I get them to alter the angle at the same time if not to difficult?

Cheers.......Andy :rolleyes:

seems to be a bit of a split camp over this, some believe the angle is critical, some don't.

If it is that critical how do the bikers cope when they are banking into corners, going up and down steep inclines?

Far better to make sure the float bowls, floats and needle valves are clean and fit a new clean filter just before the carbs.

hi

I have the CBR 600 carbs and on the bike they are about 25deg but on the car they are about 60deg. The car was tuned by a bike tuner who said straight off that they were the incorrect angle. They run perfect.

However they were designed for a postion on the bike so altering the angle I suppose is pushing towards design tolerance??

If you are getting them altered any way might be worth getting them at near to or mid point angle without fouling the bonett

Paul

yes Steve agree about a split camp but they are set to work at that angle on a bike so should be the same on a car, at least to give you a fighting chance to set them up.

just as a by the way when a bike is traveling at speed around a corner banked over g force comes in to play, and as far as the carbs are concerned it acts as if it was upright. if stationary and you lean it over the levels would all be wrong. i may not have explained that very well. ;)

any way mine are at the same angle as the bike would be and are fine, although i can see how some get ok at a different angle.

woolly

Thanks for all the replys. I went to the local engineering shop at luchtime and they are going to raise the angle by 30deg. They are also going to modify for the servo and match the chamers to the inlet gasket for improved flow. I'll keep you posted on how things go. The other point that comes to mind is setting the psi rate of the fuel filter. How do you know what pressure your setting it too when turning the screw (using a petrol king without the bowl)?

Always fun fun fun............Andy

Guest smegheadsteve

Hey Andy,let me know how you get on with your carb set up.I've got gsxr600 carbs on mine and had probs with them at the rolling road.

Is yours a pinto?

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Yes, my engine is a 1600 pinto in standard form. I'll let you know how I get on once the carbs are fitted and running. What problems did you experience at the rolling road?? I've seen a few articles about this and have already re-jetted to 120's to start with. I also remember someone telling me you should block the jets at the front of the carbs. Not sure what is was called but it's designed for the ram air system which we wouldn't use.

I'll keep you posted............Andy

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi Andy,

If you search the maintenance & mods forum for "rolling road"you will see a post started by me about my set up.

My thoughts are that you will be ok with a 1600 engine,mines a 2.0.

Steve.

Guest Markeoz

I,ve fitted new bike carbs from GBS to my 2.0l pinto and also fitted a fuel regulator set to 2psi. I've just bolted them straight on and started her up and noticed a vast improvement from my pierburg 2E3!! I want to get them set up correctly so can anyone recommend someone local to the stafford area?