S7 Mk 3

Guest piddy

I received this e mail from a potential new member.

I don’t have much knowledge of this model so didn’t like to advise him.

Hi

I recently bought a robin hood kit car that was not running well the engine is all sorted now but while we were testing we noticed the front was pulling away where the top of the front suspension bolts on to the stainless steel shell there is a piece of angle iron that the internal dampers are bolted to this is bending and pulling out of the shell do you have any ideas for this

Kind regards

Michael

I told him his best bet was to find out which model he has and ask the same question on this forum.

Hi Martin

It is a sierra Mk3 with inbound shocks I think it should have two lengths of angle iron to bolt the top suspension arm too, the front one has the middle missing enabling the whole front to twist

I have bought some angle iron and I can copy the bolt holes from the rear but I don’t have a measurement for the span at the front it is possible that the front and back are the same is this correct?

Also could you give me some information on joining the club and what things you get up to, thank you for your help so far I did go on to the forum but could not work out how to ask a question

Kind regards

Michael

I have Mk1 and the front angle on mine is 2"x2 1/2" rear 2"x2" both 830 mm long and 5mm thick, HTH.

I would advise while he is at it fitting re-enforceing bars from the top hole to the bottom chassis/tub rail and the bottom hole to the top rail if needed on a Mk3 to help prevent the front mounting points bending as they do in time and they help keeping it square too.

Mike

Guest shane-wilkins

peter bell is right i have gust bought a 1997 series 3 mon chassie, it has never been put together and there is no angle,the series 3 as the inboard shocks.if anyone can give me any info on how they went about strenghting the front end i would be greatful,i know that from others posts they say that it cracks on the bolt holes running on the top of the pivot ear and it also needs streghting on the bottom formed box section.anyone with any ideas because im starting to get a bald patch scatching my head,cheers wilky.