New Research

Peter Bell

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi All

If you talk to most serious bikers they will tell you that any ride longer than 1/2 hour they all wear ear plugs, and thats with a helmet on.

Must confess to wearing them in the hood when on my own and we have full head set intercom for the longer journeys when out together.

So yes you can damage your hearing, rubber plugs on a cord keep out the harsh noise but you still get the sensation and can still hear if that makes sence.

I now use one ear plug RH side , starting to get a bit deaf on that side, may be all the shooting I've done in the past though :wacko:

peter2b

are you left or right handed ? my hearing has gone on the lh ear, and i used to shoot rh (shotguns and fullbore... doc at hospital said rh ear protected by the gun stock

i tend to wear ear plugs in the hood, but also find it tends to make me drive it harder, as i can hear all the rattles!

dave

tis true, when i last had a hearing test, a asked if right ear was worse, and was told, yes, there was a diferance between them, i have shot when younger, but i have noticed the diferance in the last few years, and i put it down to the hood,

Mitch

Guest Alasdair
yeah i use ear plugs. I heard that for motorbikers its the very high noise of the air around the helmet that causes the problem (but i might be wrong).

That's interesting. In my yoof I used to thrash a Moto Guzzi up the M1/M6 from Luton to Stoke for a training course. Cruising speed was (allegedly officer) an indicated 110. But when I got there I couldn't hear much for a good half an hour aftwards. I guessed it was the wind nose, the full face helmets in those days weren't as "full face" as they probably are now (Griffin Masterdome as I recall).

Alasdair

And now for a joke my dad told me when I were a lad:

3 gentlemen travelling on a train near Birmingham:

1st gent: "Is this Wednesbury?"

2nd gent: "No, it's Thursday".

3rd gent: "So I am, let's all go and get a drink".

I can well believe it, my ears ring after any decent run without ear plugs. That's why I got an open face helmet, my head and senses don't feel like they've been battered after 100 miles. And lovely and warm to boot!

Guest scrabster

my ears are knackered aswell.put it down to scuba diving years ago,and working for the last 23 yrs with the hiss of oxy/propane cutting gun and the odd molten metal spark burning a hole in my ear drum.oh and a great night at a slade concert in 1978,what a sound system they had then. :D

tinitus jess.