Dashboard Extrusions

Guest Ant

Can someone with an up to date SVA manual tell me what the requirement is for dashboard extrusions before they have to be radiussed? My version says 9mm. Has this changed in the newer versions?

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant

My borrowed book (thanks Pete) say's 9.5mm. At my test i had a Polo heater knob protruding from the dash by 10mm and was asked to remove it. (not there cant test it) this was i presume type approved on VW's but must have been resessed into the dash on the Polo, it did have a 2.5 radius on but he still was'nt happy.

Mitch ;)

I seem to remember that anything sticking too far out of the dash (it was 10mm last year) either had to be soft or be capable of collapsing into the dash in an impact. It is to prevent something hard and sharp from piercing the skull in the case of an impact.

I managed to get my mini heater knob through by fitting the original Sierra steering wheel and making use of the exclusion zone around the wheel (12cm from the edge?). However, i did have to use a very thick ty-wrap to stop the knob going all the way outside the exclusion zone!

Daz