Type 9 Or Mt75

Redspec

Hi all,

Got a 20i dohc 4x4 estate donor car for the Zero build as it is 4x4 we will need to replace the gearbox, the question is what will be best for the zero, stick with an MT75, or go type 9? if we go type 9 what other bits will need to be changed (clutch, flywheel, etc)

Thanks

Steve

Not that i'll ever have enough horses for it to cause a problem but Burtons stated that the type 9 was good up to 150bhp and the MT75 was good for 200bhp. Something about the rear bearing on the type 9 giving out as the 5th gear was an add on in the tail section. But i guess these cars are so much lighter than a seirra it won't be as stressed even with more power.

I like my type 9 ^_^ though.

HTH

Check out the ratios in the Type 9 and the MT75, I believe the Type 9 ratios are better for the lower gears and the same for the higher ones.

Any ford 5 speed box has low 1st and 2nd, if you upgrade in the future the Type 9 has a load of possibilities

Guest chris brown

Type 9 would be my choice as it is smaller and the bell housing is removable making it easier to change to other engines i.e. red top later. Also easy to make your own quick shift

Guest Geordiebarry

I am not sure that the type 9 will fit the DOHC but I could be wrong. which is why I think to put a Zetec in you need the MT75 box. I am using the type 9 on the back of a redtop.

Westfield reckon that the type 9 shouldn't be used with more than 190bhp but I think that will be enough to start with!!

Guest scrabster

hi,i drove a westfield today with mt75 and my zero has type 9.i much prefer the type 9, the gear stick in the westie was like a magic wand but i suppose you get used to what you fit.

jess.

Guest phil howard
I am not sure that the type 9 will fit the DOHC but I could be wrong. which is why I think to put a Zetec in you need the MT75 box. I am using the type 9 on the back of a redtop.

Westfield reckon that the type 9 shouldn't be used with more than 190bhp but I think that will be enough to start with!!

BGH Geartech modify Type 9's gearboxes for all type of applications ..............they do Heavy duty and Close Ratio , they have software to match the ratio's to you BHP/max revs and Diff Ratio (mine is currently being modified by them).

Been running a BGH E6 (i think?) based on the type 9 behind a 200 bhp (alright only 198 really!!) redtop all last year & really pleased with it & the guys at Geartech....visited them a couple of times before buying the box.

The high 1st gear & close ratio 2/3/4 & lower 5th make the most of the redtop's BHP & lower torque.

Good choice!!

Guest graham.g

Since you are in the situation of having to change it, I would go for the type 9.

Are you staying with the dohc, if so the type 9 will bolt straight on, and if you change the engine later to a zetec it will also bolt straight on.

Also if you change later to non ford engines, bell housings are readily available for the type 9 box.

BGH Heavy Duty Gearbox's with a selection of different ratio's available if you decide to upgrade at a future date.

Graham