Box Section Steel / Angle Iron

Guest smartfazer

Guest smartfazer

Can anybody recommend the best supplier for Box Steel and/or Angle Iron? Preferably in Essex/Chelmsford area.

I'm working on the Seat/Floorpan area at the moment, so need some good quality ironwork at a reasonable price.

To be honest, I don't know what is a good price for a length of Steel. There's a Guy on ebay selling 2mtr lengths of box section at £12 + £8 p&p, is that a good price?

Thanks as always,

Steve.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Steve

If you look up your local steel fabrication company they usually have scrap bins.

I can pick up most sizes of angle, box, or flat M/S usually for a couple of quid a length, this money usually feeds the "tea boat".

I got all the box section for my wish bone conversion for less than a tenner.

HTHs

Can anybody recommend the best supplier for Box Steel and/or Angle Iron? Preferably in Essex/Chelmsford area.

I'm working on the Seat/Floorpan area at the moment, so need some good quality ironwork at a reasonable price.

To be honest, I don't know what is a good price for a length of Steel. There's a Guy on ebay selling 2mtr lengths of box section at £12 + £8 p&p, is that a good price?

Thanks as always,

Steve.

B and Q do quite a bit but probably not the cheapest.

Andi

B and Q do quite a bit but probably not the cheapest.

Andi

I don't know about the box, but the flat steel strip at B & Q is cr@p quality, if you try and bend it, it cracks and it's got some sort of varnish on it (presumably to stop it rusting) - hideously expensive too.

Apart from that I can thoroughly recommend it !!!

Guest Getting There

Hi

We buy it for all sorts of things, there are always steel stockholders, locally most of which will deliver or pick up and all the ones we deal with will let you have offcuts from the bins by weight.

Cost wise were in Leeds so a bit cheaper but just ordered some 30x30x3 Box section in 7mtr legnths for £13.90 + vat each, and thats delivered.

Hope this helps

Chris

Guest sadjagboy

I've used quite a bit of angle and flat steel purchased from B&Q (not all of them seem to stock it).

I know the steel richyb66 is talking about as I bought some of that too and it was rubbish.

But the angle has been good and the thicker flat rod has been okay too, built my tank straps from it and it bent no problem, Also my seat supports and my bonnet hinging (design a la Grizzly's) are all built from B&Q sourced steel, never going to be the cheapest price but convienient and (for me) cheap on time. here's a link so you can compare prices.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSe...s=1255373999823

regards

Angus

Guest mower man

Hi really the only place to buy steel is from a steel stockist,after all you wouldn't buy cheese from a wood yard ,like I have banged on before DO YOUR RESEARCH !!!.As Ian says most stockist 's have an offcut bin ASK!!!you will get one of two answersone of which is ----off so you go some where else HTH mowerman :p :rolleyes: :yahoo: :good:

A few moons ago i worked in a fabrication business which my uncle owned and next door was our metal store a Steel Stockholder HGD, they used to send customers who wanted small amouts to us, if we hadnt got it in stock we just popped next door grabbed a length and sold it to them whatever length the customer wanted. Any local fab shop should be able to supply you with whatever you required.

Mike

Guest smartfazer

Thanks all,

I am going to hunt down local fabrication businesses etc,. The trouble is yellow pages online doesn't seem to come up with too many in the Dunmow/Chelmsford area.

Any of you local lads know of any you can recommend?

Although convenient, I want to avoid purchasing from my local B&Q.

Steve.

Guest old_timbo

Hi Steve,

I buy my Metal from Mackays in Cambridge http://www.mackay.co.uk/. They cut to size while you wait and the metal store is open Saturday mornings. Bit of a trek for you, but they are also a great tool shop, and stock all shapes and sizes of nuts, bolts washers etc. Normally safest if you go in with the wife and let her control access to your wallet otherwise it's a "child in a sweet shop" job :D

Regards

Tim