Fitting The Wet Weather Gear On A S3a

Snapperpaul

Have been searching the forum but all the older photos have disapeared.

I am fitting the hood stays to the S3a but could do with some photos of how people have set them up.

Is it longer bar to the back, shorter one forward?

Where does the simple bracket attach to the body?

Any devious mods to the frame by the more enlightend?

All photos, diagrams and advise greatfully recieved.

Longest bar to the front as it leans forward , short bar almost straight up in front of the roll bar.

Bar brackets need to be fitted so that the bars can fold back to be stowed , thats if you want them to, mine dont as i boobed when i did my brackets due to not fitting them outboard enough plus my roll bar is padded thus making it even harder to get round, so i just leave the front one at home, the rear bar is then strapped to the roll bar to stow it.

A possible good mod would be to use an early Sprite or MG roof bars as they are spring loaded to adjust the hood tension and only need one socket to fit into, plus they split in the centre for stowing.

Mike

If the S7 version is similar to the Exmo then you will have to tweek the bars to make them follow the line of the rear body, I found the ally bent easily using my knee, remember though do it a little at a time and keep checking.

Also check the length of the bars before taping together and drilling the pivot between large and small hoops, I forgot to check mine which means its a little off square when the roof is on.

My 'L' shaped brackets mount inside the large hoop about 1/2" along the tube and then mounted where they landed on the inner wing part that the roll bar goes through.

When the roof is up the small hoop is inline above the roll bar (or would be if I had done it straight) and attached to the inside of the roof using the velcro wrap-a-round bit and the bigger hoop sits just behind my head, I tension mine with luggage straps from roll bar to front hoop as I found the vinyl ones supplied streached too much when warn and made the roof look saggy.

Hope this is usefull, I can take some photos if you want more info.

P.s. My roof etc had 2B written on it so I presume there all the same?

Thanks very much guys, just the information i needed.

And as a bonus i found the original 1997 vintage VHS build videos at work, have dropped the bit i want to DVD and can now clear the lounge in seconds as the rest of the family scatter while i watch the vids :D

Thanks very much guys, just the information i needed.

And as a bonus i found the original 1997 vintage VHS build videos at work, have dropped the bit i want to DVD and can now clear the lounge in seconds as the rest of the family scatter while i watch the vids :D

Hi paul

I think it should fit the same as mine did i will see if i can fine some pics for you

cheer

Heres mine and the principle for tensioning the hood. I admit I used some much thinner tube from B&Q because it looks better to me. I also made the mounting bracket adjustable and had several alternative holes till I got the hood just right, then made a better bracket for the mount.

Nigel

post-21-1256077220_thumb.jpg