Going To Court

Andi

A few months ago me and the wife were off to Norway to visit friends. Got a taxi to the train station and watched this idiot in a big 4x4 reverse out of a slot between 2 parked cars. He pulled his left hand down on the steering wheel and crunched into a BMW on his right.

Oops! We thought and probably would have left it at that. But then to our amazement he didnt pull forward and re ajust. He revved the a**se off it and began pulling backwards again, lifting the beemer on 2 wheels. The missus ran over and shouted him to stop but he just kept going on til he had trashed the left hand side from front to back. He then calmy adjusted his wing mirror and drove off. Im sure this guy didnt know how to drive.

Anyway we put a note on the sorry looking beemer with our phone number on and went off on jollies.

A few weeks later old bill rang and wanted to come round for a chat. Also a Scottish guy rang to say thanks (beemer owner)

We gave a statement and thought that would be it. Now we have just had a bloody summons.

I dont want to go to court but I will, that guy is a dangerous idiot. But I cant stop thinking should i have bothered.

What would you have done????

Guest Ian & Carole

Same as you Andi.

Might be trying to call the bluff of the BMW owner, when they see people are actualy attending court they might settle in the "waiting room".

It is a sad state of affairs nowadays that too many people would sooner look the other way than do the right thing, sadly those are the ones who usually shout the loudest when it happens to them.

Well done that man, and woman.

yep, imagine if it was your car, i know its a ball ache going court, but he damaged someones property and should be held in account,

Chris saw a niegbour of ours do it to a friends car, if the police had come they could hav had them both for drink driving, ( they had had a fight and were trying to get each other out of car when damage was done, ) then they hid the car and denied it !!!,

Mitch

Guest smartfazer

You did the right thing.

As Ian said "they will probably wish to settle out of court" once they know there are "real" witnesses able to attend the hearing.

Just think what you would do if this had happened to you, or anybody else on this site.

You get paid for your time and expenses by the Court anyway.

Steve

you have done the right thing .

its a pain to have to go to the court but lets hope he gets whats his .

more people need to be seen and heard , and the time off is a pain but lets hope that justice is done .

too many get away with it cos the ones that see it dont want to become involved .

well done !

graham

Happened to me a few years back, left my car in a carpark for 30 mins when I came back the front was about 2 foot out to one side and all smashed up.

Witness gave me all the details but wouldn't give their name or address. Police rang a few weeks later saying it was a company car from down south which had not been booked out and now had no damage so no proof and no case.

If the witness had given name police said they could have shown some photos of distinctive features but ha-ho.

Good on you, make that guy have some responsibility for his actions.

If the police had any sense, which they haven't, he should be done for Dangerous driving, Careless driving, and Driving without due care and attention.

jon

As it stands he is being charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

Well! Im over the initial shock now and will do what need to be done, thanks for all your support.

Its not the first time ive been called as a witness due to my job with the drug and alcohol homeless crew.

That makes it kinda worse because I will know half the reprebates in there.

:D

Definately done the right thing there Andi, I wish there were more upright citizens like you.

Good one!! you'll get all your expenses back from the court, and a good feeling when you see the guy get his come-uppance, because too many don't!

Hi Jim

similar situation for me, cam eup to a road junction, 2 cars infront, man get out the car infront of me kicks the doors in on the passenger side then jumps on the boot gets back in the car and drives off round the car infront

I gave the driver of the 1st car my details - police came round and took statement etc and it went to court, the guy who trashed the car was going to plead not guilty but when they realised that I was at court he changed plea to not guilty

I did went to court on the basis if someone did that to me I would hope that I would get supported

I would go but when they see a witness i suggest that the plea will change

Paul

Well Done ! You did your duty for society. Some years ago I was out with the lads on Bikes (Motorcycles) and had just got petrol, as we were about to leave I saw a young girl waiting to turn right into the garage when this ***** decided to overtake her and the two cars waiting behind her and slammed into the side and back of her car, he then reversed up a bit and swung out and round her with no intention of stopping. Well this was Game on to me so two of us roared off and caught up with him where after a few miles he pulled into another garage and calmly walked into the shop, we blocked him in and challenged him then called the police with his number and where we were. Eventually went to court but I didn't have to attend in the end.

Sorry to drift off topic slightly, but this got me thinking whatever happened to Enforcer??? :huh:

Still here! ^_^

Andi

We wouldn't get many cases home without independent testimony, so good on you. Don't worry about the day; it isn't the fearful experience you may think it is. Just stay cool, don't rise to the bait if the defence solicitor tries to wind you up. Stick to your account and what you have committed to your statement, be polite and respectful and direct your answers to the magistrates. As has already been mentioned there is a distinct possibility that the defence will offer a plea as soon as they are informed by the clerk that you have turned up.

Remember how indignant and horrified you felt when you saw this happen, and keep thinking how you would be feeling if it was your car that was damaged.

Mr Richardson, direct your comments to the CPS, for it is they who determine what charges will be faced. Sounds like the police in Andi's case have done their job entirely properly. For the record you can only charge either Dangerous or Careless Driving, not both. Oh and 'Careless Driving' and 'Driving without due care and attention' are the same offence, Sect 3 RTA 1988.

Good luck Andi; you may even find the day surprisingly rewarding!

Rich