Rust

Guest maco

Electrolosis, basically you need a big plastic bowel of water, soda crystals (soap), a lump of steel (not stainless) and a 12v battery charger. Self cleaning parts.

Look up the process and polarity on the web, i won't give details as i don't want to be responsible if you do it wrong. It's not dangerous to you, just your donor parts if you get it wrong. lol

HTH

Nick

Guest MartinP

I used this on the torsion beam, trailing arms, rear brake backplates and tha cutdown mcpherson struts. It take the same amount of time as using a wire brush in a drill, but without any of the coughing, spluttering, aching arms and removing bits of wire brush from your arms/sleeves and face :D

Negative must go the the donor part, there is a "line of sight" reaction, so the more area the positive anode covers the better the result in any given time.

I started with a plastic bucket and a battery, then went on the use a 110 litre builders bucket and a battery connected to a charger during the day and only the battery over night.

more info.

Electrolysis

Martin

Guest oddsocks
thanx guys

ive got everything ready but just one question how long should i leave them for ?

Well i've tried it! Had some funny looks when i cleared tesco's out of vinegar and a big plastic box, im sure i could hear them say bomb. Girl at the counter was funny as well, as i felt i had to say why i had 23 bottles of vinegar (like chips just wouldnt do it!) explained its good for gettin rust off, and she said you must have alot of rust!!

Anyway its been 24 hrs and some things are coming good but some havent changed much so im gonna leave them in for another 24 hrs or more and see what its like after work tommorow.

What did you lot use to clean your diff up with? Dont worry i havent put vinegar in the breathing tube of the diff!

Guest madrallysport
What did you lot use to clean your diff up with? Dont worry i havent put vinegar in the breathing tube of the diff!

I just used a drill and wire brush, after i cleaned it with degreaser, it come up a treat.

Watching your thread, will you post before and after pictures of your cleaning process please

Guest oddsocks
I just used a drill and wire brush, after i cleaned it with degreaser, it come up a treat.

Watching your thread, will you post before and after pictures of your cleaning process please

Yeah i'll post some pics up when its done. still not good enough. Its getting there but its slow process might even need new vinegar. Its been in there since sat evening so we'll see what its like after work 2mor. Otherwise i might be goin down the wire brush route.