Good Luck, Bad Luck

Guest Noddy006

Guest Noddy006

Hi Folks

Got persuaded by HID to take a drive to the Cotswolds. Not too bad a start until about 10 miles in and it got a bit persistant. So under command pulled over and put on the hood. Felt a bump when pulling off the road but didn't seem significant. Anyhow motored another 30 odd to Stow and decided time for lunch. Parked up, ate and wandered around (as she does) and eventually returned to the car. Her next question 'whats this shiny stuff in the gutter' Blast etc.etc. Shiny stuff was most of the oil from the sump a steady drip, drip from around the drain plug area - couldn't see exactly what. Anyhow decided had to get more oil and found a garage not too far away topped her up and set off. To cut a long story short with 2 stops and 4 litres of oil got home. Drip tray underneath and caught about a litre. As oil warning light didn't come on I just hope engine is O.K. Therefore the next job is !!!!

The moral of this story 'chop the sump on yer pinto before you have to'.

Ah well

Cheers

Ian H

thankfully when i bashed mine it wasn't leaking too badly and luckily was at the end of 150 mile trip. Shortened it now as per instructions and only had one close call since when i knocked it on a bumpy road on Dartmoor in the summer. Thankfully my welding stood up as i was on my way to plymouth for the week. Ive got so used to watching everything on the road these days, all the bumps and pot-holes. I now notice all the scrap marks from other unsuspecting low cars and keep it in mind incase i take the hood along that road.

Glad you made it home.

Guest Dee Jay
Hi Folks

Got persuaded by HID to take a drive to the Cotswolds. Not too bad a start until about 10 miles in and it got a bit persistant. So under command pulled over and put on the hood. Felt a bump when pulling off the road but didn't seem significant. Anyhow motored another 30 odd to Stow and decided time for lunch. Parked up, ate and wandered around (as she does) and eventually returned to the car. Her next question 'whats this shiny stuff in the gutter' Blast etc.etc. Shiny stuff was most of the oil from the sump a steady drip, drip from around the drain plug area - couldn't see exactly what. Anyhow decided had to get more oil and found a garage not too far away topped her up and set off. To cut a long story short with 2 stops and 4 litres of oil got home. Drip tray underneath and caught about a litre. As oil warning light didn't come on I just hope engine is O.K. Therefore the next job is !!!!

The moral of this story 'chop the sump on yer pinto before you have to'.

Ah well

Cheers

Ian H

Think youself lucky I took the bottom off my sump on a nice extra high manhole and lost all the oil in one or two seconds, on my 2.0 dohc wished I had done it before going on the road!!!!!

Dave

Guest craig030774

did mine on the day battery bill made a visit i caught it on the bit of metal where the drive gates used to meet :o it was full of warm new oil. luckily i had a big bag of saw dust for pets

• 4 weeks later...
Guest trackerjack

Pinto sumps are sooo thin! compared with a Dolomite one when I chopped my Pinto one I added a 1mm steel skin on it for protection.

If you have bought your engine and it was sitting on the ground for a few years, as mine was, you find the sump has rusted almost through.