That Time Of Year

Guest manglemender

Guest manglemender

Winter is upon us... though you wouldn't now it today.

Just been and got the car out for the garage for one last time before the tax disc expires (weather not looking great for the rest of October!). My journey home from work tonight will be the last this year for the hood.

In previous years I've kept the car on the road all year round but I think I only managed two days out last winter and at £100 for six months that works out at £50/day!

I think its about time that we abolished the tax disc or created a new low user category maybe.

Maybe a scheme could be setup whereby you can buy a weeks tax at a time online; the DVLA have the infrastructure to check your MOT and Insurance online. The DVLA could generate a bar coded disc that could be printed at home - I do this with Airline tickets and boarding passes regularly. A simple bar code scanner linked to the DVLA could verify details and validity instantly in the same way that a Police Officer would run a check today and ANPR should work just as well so ong as the databases are updated frequently enough.

Any other ideas?

Nick

Guest Ian & Carole
Just put Tax on the Fuel.

The more you use, the more you pay.

This was looked into several years back IIRC, the "Thatcherites" still wanted to charge, what they called, a nominal fee to register your car.

This fee would I feel sure be increased with every budget :o , a bit like road tax???

The increase in fuel duty would be used to replace the road tax, as we know it, in theory a good idea.

However, and this is only my opinion, we would create a massive problem with "Bilking" (making off without payment) and fuel theft from parked vehicles.

Anti-syphon filler necks would just see fuel tanks having holes punched in them and fuel drained off.

Mileage checks for the more you drive the more you pay is the way forward I think, using the MOT ?? to confirm yearly miles, what about the 1st 3 years though?.

The more miles a vehicle travels the more wear and tear to the infrastructure of our collapsing road net work is caused so yes the more you travel the more you pay.

This would suit me well, the Hood does about 5k / year, the wedding cars less than 1k each this year, the Sorento less than 6k towing the van.

Carole’s gets the most use at about 10k.

How many repmobiles are up and down the motorways doing 100k +??? year in year out.

Let the debate begin :D :D

well had no choice but to take the 2b this morning as the laguna's mistery fault reappeared and she wouldn't start :(

bit cold on my hands this morning but looking forward to the drive home.

As for the tax debate, if you were to build a small diesel powered hood so it was £35 a year tax and then buy old chip fat to run it on, it would be well cheap motoring :)

I have thought of dropping in a 1.4 zetec to get cheaper tax (and prob more power than my 1.6 pinto)!

although sometimes I just count myself lucky as my sisters new RX8 is £500 a year on tax :o

Guest peter2b2002

just sorn'd my 2b today, a bit chilly on my last drive this PM, (rain forecast Friday & weekend) last winter I only drove it a few times so not worth taxing her. Then back into the garage tucked up for the winter, may do a few mods this time.

peter2b

Guest scrabster
well had no choice but to take the 2b this morning as the laguna's mistery fault reappeared and she wouldn't start :(

bit cold on my hands this morning but looking forward to the drive home.

As for the tax debate, if you were to build a small diesel powered hood so it was £35 a year tax and then buy old chip fat to run it on, it would be well cheap motoring :)

I have thought of dropping in a 1.4 zetec to get cheaper tax (and prob more power than my 1.6 pinto)!

although sometimes I just count myself lucky as my sisters new RX8 is £500 a year on tax :o

hi,have you ever followed a car running on chip fat,the smell is awful and on a run out with your mates you would be the last man i bet!lol :D

jess.

got to say, i don't agree with tax being put on fuel, i don't actually agree with paying road tax full stop, these too little wallet squeezers were once used to keep our roads in good condition. In sheffield and its surrounding areas the roads are a joke, i had 3 track rod ends on my discovery II, 2 sets of anti roll bar bushes and 3 sets of anti roll bar links on the Range Rover Sport all in a year. These vehicles are built to offroad spec, yet, they cannot survive the Sheffield twinned with Bosnia roads. So why the hell should we pay increasing road taxes and fuel taxes when we get very little back. Sheffield has been given "X" amount of millions to improve our roads, but, by the time our council has built offices, decorated old offices, entertained numerous contractors... we will probably be left with £2.50 to do the roads with.

we will probably be left with £2.50 to do the roads with

£2:50 !!!! When I were a lad, we could build a motorway from Lands end to John o'groats, put a service station at every 10 miles, and still have enough left to buy a chip supper... :D

If I thought for one minute the planks in Whitehall could get their sums right, I'd go for tax on the fuel. Bigger vehicle? more tax.

More miles? more tax.

But the money would get siphoned off elsewhere before it was ever converted to tarmac.

Went to mainland Spain & Majorca last summer. The roads were amazing, even in the middle of the island, with signs saying funds had come joinltly from the EU and Spanish government.

Why dont we get road rebuild subsidies like that? Its the B%^&*(y EU lorries that are wearing out our roads without paying a penny towards their maintenance. Even Eddie Stobart is registering his lorries abroad now...

Why dont we get the EU subsidies being given to the likes of Eastern European countries since we presently house 95% of their inhabitants.... :aggressive:

Why dont I just move abroad...

Mr Grumpy...

We do get the subsidies from EU -- take a run down through Cornwall -- lovely new tarmac everwhere. You will always be disappointed if you expect tax to be fair or spent on the section of community who paid it in the first place. Tax will always come from the easiest collection point & spent where you least want it to go; unless you're an M.P.