Facet Solid State Fuel Pump

Been out today with the South West Bunch (proper south west, this side of Exeter not Swindon!) to MB Motorsports who seem like a knowlegable and keen bunch. Thought I ran out of petrol on the way but it was the facet lifter pump going terminal. Phil Slater kindly went and got some petrol and after a whack the pump stuttered into life again. Sadly only enough to fill the swirl pot and die. Left MB for a convoy drive and managed 400yds onto the A38 dual-carriageway before coasting down hill for another 200yds onto a garage forecourt.

Chris Wool kindly gave me a lift home to get spare pump and tools and back to the scene of the crime. Job done in 15 minutes. Home, shepherded by Chris, but car went fine.

Thanks to Chris and Phil for their help and sorry to the rest of the posse who got held up or stuck behind me as I coasted along the A38 with Tesco lorries swerving around us.

Did I mention before that facet pre-pump fuel filters are the spawn of the devil and I hate them with a red hot sizzling hate. Well the same goes for their pumps. (My lawyer has asked me to add that this is only my personal experience, I probably installed the pump incorrectly or abused it in some way, they frequently last longer than half an hour and the failure is entirely my own fault and not due to the pump being a heap of doggy doos and they are in fact wonderfull pumps and my experience is exceptional.)

Nigel

Nigel,

Good to hear you managed to get it sorted and home again, it was good to get some SW RHOCar members together in one place and put some faces to names etc, maybe next time the convey will stay longer for a bit further ;)

Cheers

Tony.R

Installed to lift approximately 8 inches vertical into swirl pot. Sucking through facet filter for first 6000 miles and when that blocked through a £1 inline filter. Lasted total about 12000miles. Only breakdowns I have ever suffered have been due to this pump and filter but it has only stranded me once. I will carry a spare in future.

Nigel

Thanks for the warning Nigel.

So far 6k on a FACET (fast road, square) pump & filter with no problems, but I'll sort out a spare to go in the boot alongside the spare dizzy, spare plugs, spare relay, spare fuses, spare wheel (outside the boot, obviously), spare bulbs, spare 12v phone/satnav charger, spare tyre valve, spare gallon of fuel etc.

Bob

Guest mower man

Hi I've been following this saga with some interest ,ok if you are on injection you probably need more delivery than std butINMO if these facet pumps are as bad as the reports say they would not find any favour with me! If you are pinto powered /on carbs ther is nothing wrong with the std mech pump,if you want /need elec pumps why not use amodern electronic SU if they will feed a4.2 Jag I cannot see aprob with any thing fitted in aRobin Hood! I don't know any prices but they are surely competetive?.As for blaming the filters they are only blocked by s---e in the fuel ,clean the b----y tank out ! and/or change your fuel station!Sorry if this has turned into abit of a rant but come on lads look a little wider! regards mowerman :huh: :good: :crazy: